Multiple SketchUp buildings to Multipatch

02-28-2014 08:53 AM
CarlBester
New Contributor
Hi All,

I have a question regarding SketchUp models.

I have received a sketchup model with multiple buildings of a new development. I want to export the SU model to CityEngine (in any format possible).

I have exported the SU model to collada, but all the buildings are represented as one feature, and I need a feature per building.

I then tried to convert the collada to a multipatch (from within CE). The result was a multiparch with one large multi-part feature (this is getting close to what I need but I still need to explode the multipatch).

Next I tried the GP tool "multipart to single part" to try and explode the multipatch to spatially seperated buildings. But the result was an empty multipatch feature class.

Is there a way to do this? Preferably a multipatch with each feature representing a building. But the same result in any format would be a great start. Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Carl
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Carl,

In your case, just export 1 model pre building from SU. Import those files separately. Ok ?

If you have georeffed data, use kmls, drag-n-drop them in the CE viewport and you'll get a 'Static Model' per file.

just fyi : http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/68876-Importing-obj-dae-from-Sketchup
0 Kudos
CarlBester
New Contributor
Hi Matt,

I have considered doing it this way, however there are too many individual buildings in the scene.

I have found a work-around (sort of). In SU I grouped the buildings according to precinct (approximately 5). I then selected the group and while making sure that the "Export Only Selection Set" is checked in the Export options, I  exported the group to a DAE file.

I imported this into CE. At this point all the buildings are still 1 feature and I could not move individual buildings. I selected the DAE feature and exported it to a multipatch.

After adding the multipatch I could move groups of buildings by selecting the correct edges and vertices manually. Although this is not ideal, it got the job done to a certain extent.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Ok..

Maybe SketchUp lets you script this .. e.g. with Ruby script or so ..

matt
0 Kudos