Merging several cga files into a single one?

01-13-2012 01:35 AM
MattiasEngstrom
New Contributor
I have a building that is quite complex and due to this separated into several smaller cga rule files. It seems that structuring my project this way makes selecting and working with the building in the view port very slow. When merging all these files into one I see a huge increase in speed. While in developing rules, many smaller files makes sense, however in a production environment it does not. Is there a way to merge files or has anyone with a similar experience come up with a different solution? 🙂

thanks
/Mattias
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasSpecht
New Contributor II
Hi Mattias,
I understand you are talking about splitting one large cga file into many smaller ones and using import.
Unfortunately there is currently no functionality to automatically merge cga files into one.
However, I am wondering why you experience such a heavy performance issue with imported cga files. Could you give us more information about what you exactly are doing and what CityEngine version you are using?
Is there a chance you could pass us your rule files so we can reproduce the issue over here?

greetings
decrement
0 Kudos
MattiasEngstrom
New Contributor
Actually you are right in that there shouldn't be any need for merging, it is since we upgraded to 2011.1 from 2010.3 that this problem became apparent. It seems the inspector follows the imports recursively turning every call into an instance relative to the calling file. This is flexibility you'd potentially want but one that seemingly causes an overhead. I don't have permission hand over any files at the moment.

thanks
Mattias

2011.1 build 1021 (release, linux-64bit)
0 Kudos
MatthiasSpecht
New Contributor II
Hi,
ok, I see the problem. It is on our todo list.
Depending on what you exactly are doing (is rule editing slow or selection in the 3dview?), there might be some workarounds:
* do not select a footprint while editing rules
* close the inspector view

cheers
decrement
0 Kudos