Is there a way to offset sidewalks from streets?

03-16-2016 03:59 PM
CharlesBrennan1
New Contributor

Hi all, I am trying to develop a CityEngine scene depicting a community that has offset sidewalks (i.e., there is a 1-1.5 meter gap between the street curb and the sidewalk). I have been using the complete streets rule in this scene thus far, but have not come across any way to create offset sidewalks using the out-of-the-box rule options. Am I missing something here? If not, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for how I might go about creating such an offset. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

With normal streets, you could make your sidewalk slightly wider than necessary and then use a split in the v direction to take out the extra width.

See the section on UV splits and the UV Split on Streets example:

split Operation

However, for complete streets, David Wasserman​, the creator of complete streets, is the expert.

CharlesBrennan1
New Contributor

Thank you Cheryl that worked perfectly! I was playing around with splits before, but using an XYZ split.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Charles,

The rule generally uses UV space 0 for sidewalks and streets (2/1 for crosswalks). That said the rule can on its own support vegetated buffers street side if the Tree_Percentages are set to 0 and the Sidewalk_Planting_Spacing are also set to zero.

You are more than welcome to add your own splits, but can also used the values seen here.
Can you share a screen shot of the type of buffer you are trying to make? Is it vegetated? Paved? Have street furniture?
For more information:
Documentation:
The Official Unofficial Guide to the ESRI Complete Street Rule.pdf

More recent version of rule:

GitHub - Holisticnature/Complete_Street_Rule: This is an updated repository for a modified version o...

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos