Host your own CityEngine web scenes

01-14-2013 05:13 AM
SamLarsen
New Contributor III
I am looking for the ability to host my own CityEngine web scenes on our internal network to display internal / sensitive models (i.e. outside of ArcGIS Online).
Are there JavaScript libraries available that i can use to do this?  Is this an idea Esri are exploring for the future, or can it be included as a module in the JavaScript API?

Thanks
9 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Yes, this is possible.

Get the newest version of the offline viewer here :
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=38fede3935a440e49cf316dcae6aae47

Some docs about this are in the manual :
F1 CE Help > Manual > Exporting Models > CityEngine Web Scenes > 3 Publish to ArcGIS online > Scroll down to : 'Upload to custom server'

More docs here :
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q000000nw000000

Let me know if you have questions ..

Cheers !

Matt
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi Matt

It'd be great if I was able to send a CE scene to someone on another computer who doesn't have CE but has something like the offline viewer so that they can look at a model and take snapshots from the angles they want. Is this possible? Just thinking then I could just send them the .3ws file rather than having to go through the internet etc.

Regards

Joanne
0 Kudos
SamLarsen
New Contributor III

Get the newest version of the offline viewer here :
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=38fede3935a440e49cf316dcae6aae47

Some docs about this are in the manual :
F1 CE Help > Manual > Exporting Models > CityEngine Web Scenes > 3 Publish to ArcGIS online > Scroll down to : 'Upload to custom server'

More docs here :
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q000000nw000000

Wow, thanks Matt!

That's exactly the answer i was looking for.

Sam
0 Kudos
AndreasUlmer
Esri Contributor
Hi Matt

It'd be great if I was able to send a CE scene to someone on another computer who doesn't have CE but has something like the offline viewer so that they can look at a model and take snapshots from the angles they want. Is this possible? Just thinking then I could just send them the .3ws file rather than having to go through the internet etc.

Regards

Joanne

Hi Joanne

Basically this is what the CityEngine Web Viewer on ArcGIS online and Web Scene publish from CityEngine is for: To easily share your 3D scene with a single link to a non-CityEngine person, the only requirement to view the Web Scene is a WebGL-capable browser. We think it doesn't get much easier than that 😉

Are there specific reasons why you prefer to send a .3ws to another person for offline viewing?

Andreas
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
The main reason is because for some of our links to work with certain software we can't use google chrome or firefox as they cause problems, so we're stuck using Internet Explorer. I'm a bit cautious about installing the chrome frame incase this also causes issues, hence I was looking for an alternative method.
0 Kudos
AndreasUlmer
Esri Contributor
Do I understand you correctly that you are looking for a way to view web scenes without a web browser, but with a "standalone" desktop application?
If so, I am sorry to disappoint you on this: At the moment the CityEngine Web Viewer is the only application reading .3ws, and it is designed as a web-application that runs only on browsers.

The offline version of the Web Viewer (as it is available in CityEngine as well) is basically the same web-based application, but with no dependencies on online ressources, means it works also without internet connection. However it still needs a browser to run in.
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
yes, it would be nice to view without using the webbrowser, ah well, wishful thinking...:)
0 Kudos
KevinDeVito
New Contributor
any updates on Cityengine web GL and safari? I have a client that wants to run scenes on Ipad.

Thanks

Kevin DeVito
kdevito@cybercity3d.com
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Kevin,

Here's Gert's answer you should have gotten too via mail. I just post the answer also here for other users to read.

-->

WebGL is not currently not officially enabled in Safari on the iPad or iPhone. The hardware supports it alright but Apple has not gone the whole way of enabling it. For example, Apple released iOS5 with WebGL support in iAds but that is all for now. We have to wait and see when they will enable it completely.

In the meantime, the new Chrome update for Android now supports WebGL so we can have web scenes on Android devices with good performance.
0 Kudos