Export terrain as image - coordinate system

01-05-2012 12:57 AM
MaudGillespie
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I'm trying to export a terrain model as a georeferenced heightmap from CityEngine 2011. It's the Paris sample scene that I'm working with. I have successfully exported all buildings as KMZ in Sweref 15 00 coordinate system. However, when I'm exporting the terrain, I don't have the option to select a coordinate system, so the terrain and the buildings mis-match.

Also, the terrain is not visible in CityEngine for some reason although the "eye" for that layer is on.

Best regards,
Johan Göransson
Product Manager
Agency9
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

The Paris scene is not 'geolocated' and thus has no Scene Coordinate System set. This is usually done when importing something geolocated.

The default case in with the KML exporter is that there's a SCS set, thus in your case it asks specifically.

The terrain exporter does not ask about a SCS, but if it's set it will use it. [We may adapt this behavior in future.]

What I'd recommend is that you set the SCS in the scene, then test the exporter again, but note that the position is not set correctly, thus the models will not show up in 'actual France'. 🙂

Does that make sense ?
0 Kudos
MaudGillespie
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the reply,

that makes sense. I had to set the SCS and then re-import the heightmap again and export it. Otherwise the worldfile did not get updated.
The terrain and buildings match alot better now, although not perfectly. There are still some "flying" houses.

How should the "Elevation Offset" value be used? Should we just offset the building insert point with -2m?

Yeah, I kind of expected the coordinates to not actually be anywhere in France, since I've never seen an area in Paris where the building and road layout spells ESRI 😉

hi !

The Paris scene is not 'geolocated' and thus has no Scene Coordinate System set. This is usually done when importing something geolocated.

The default case in with the KML exporter is that there's a SCS set, thus in your case it asks specifically.

The terrain exporter does not ask about a SCS, but if it's set it will use it. [We may adapt this behavior in future.]

What I'd recommend is that you set the SCS in the scene, then test the exporter again, but note that the position is not set correctly, thus the models will not show up in 'actual France'. 🙂

Does that make sense ?
0 Kudos