Esri Complete Street Rule Discussion-Feedback?

12-11-2014 10:09 AM
DavidWasserman
Regular Contributor

Hi All,

My name is David Wasserman, the urban planner/programmer that wrote Complete_Street.cga that is featured in the Complete Street Example. I was hoping that if anyone had any comments on the rule or suggestions for changes/features/bug fixes I wanted to provide a forum for that on Geonet. So say what ever comes to your mind, but I would prefer constructive feedback. This could be a forum where everyone could provide input, discussion, and hopefully create a better rule. If you want to discuss transportation/parking/urban planning rules generally for CityEngine consider hitting this thread first.

I have attached some example renderings for those unfamiliar with the rule and its capabilities. In addition, there is now documentation for the rule available for download here. It is still pretty rough, so feedback is appreciated. In addition to the documentation, there is a new version of the rule posted about here, feedback would be appreciated.

In addition, this is also an ok forum if you are having problems with the rule. If you comment on here, I get buzzed. In the numbered section below I will recount a short summary of problems discussed in this thread.

Kind Regards,
David Wasserman

PS: If you  do anything with the rule or want to share a rendering you made (a nice one), feel free to share your images/experience.

Discovery 1: Webscene issues that were worked out pretty easily, small webscenes work typically better.

Discovery 2: Street rule is not compatible with CE 2013. Its Crosswalks Depend on 2014 UVSpace options, and there is not an ESRI.lib file for 2013. Rule is designed for and works best with the most recent version of CE (2014).
Discovery 3: For road segments to snap, you must make sure they are apart of the same layer. Merge layers if you have snapping problems.

Discovery 4: Short road segments are hard for the street rule to handle at times. A few work around with short segments include: Change crosswalks and stop types to none, making the CrosswalkBegin/End attributes a negative number, manipulating nodes to be longer, or deleting unnecessary nodes to create longer street segments (use simplify graph tool) (Thanks Steve).

Discovery 5: A discussion about curb extensions  and how to make them albeit an unorthodox way is both below and on this thread.

Discovery 6: Bridges have a minimum height requirement to generate (structure just does not make sense below a certain height). Also if you want Piers to appear regardless of Occlusion settings use On, Show All Piers. If it still does not work try: Making a new segment to test the rule one, restarting CE, or re-importing the road layer and starting again.

Discovery 7: When cropping or re-sizing your aerial for your CE project chances are you will need to georeference the image to your geography or another aerial. Georeferencing an aerial in ArcMAP will take on the ArcMAP scene projection but that is not enough. Be sure to use the "Project Raster" in the Toolbox and this will ensure proper scale and placement for your CE scene.

Discovery 8: Mapped Attributes: IF you map the streetWidth or sidewalk street parameters, and you want to adjust them after the fact you must change both the mapped object attribute AND the shape parameter. See responses below for details.

Discovery 9: Handles - Recent editions to the rule in 2017 have started to support handles for traffic lights and streetlights for more custom edits that were typically reserved for photoshop. If you have any suggestions for handles please add a comment. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notice: 1: There is a 2015 Version of the Complete Street rule. There was a bug in the street rule that did not make it work in 2015, and in this version of the rule the bug is fixed. It should work in 2014 as well as 2015 versions of CE.

David Wasserman, AICP
223 Replies
SteveRhyne
New Contributor III

Okay.... Thanks for your help. Great tool by the way. I work in the transportation and planning industry and I have some other ideas for you to think about but I don't know if this is the forum to share. Let me know the best way to contact you directly if you are interested. Thanks again.

DavidWasserman
Regular Contributor

I would be actually. Let me message you on geonet.

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
ErwinVervacke
New Contributor III

Working on a new macbookpro, the list of values of all the attributes doesn't scroll, ending just before I can start playing around with the On Street Parking ... Does anyone know why this is happening?

I'm working on the 2014.1 trial version, OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, 16Gb RAM and Retina display

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Regular Contributor

This might be an issue outside the scope of this discussion if it is an OS issue, but I will give a few questions.

What graphics card are you using?
What happens with other rules?
What happens when you open a new project/Scene?

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
ErwinVervacke
New Contributor III

Thanks David, agree on the scope but was wondering if you recognized the issues somehow 🙂

Graphics Card: Build-in Intel Iris Pro 1,5Gb + NVidia GeForce GT 750 2Gb

Other rules - which are far simpler so far - don't have that many attributes so I don't need to scroll down

Opening Projects/Scenes seems to happen 'normally'

I've been having a lot of troubles today with the trial version crashing when I want to import a file from anywhere on the file system.  Doesn't feel related (maybe permissions problem) while the scroll-thing is weird.

As long as I'm not in the attribute-section I can scroll so I janked it once and got it to scroll halfway - beyond the parking-stuff - but once it stopped it doesn't scroll up or down anymore ...

Looking forward to using your script.  I need to model the streets of an older city in Belgium within the boundaries of the existing lots so I wonder if I can make sidewalk and lot touch correctly ... streets vary width along the segment.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Regular Contributor

Hi Erwin,

I guess just double check that you computer is using your NVIDIA card, other wise I am not sure what can cause those issues (not a Mac user). If you need a hack...I would actually make a lot of the attributes hidden with the @Hidden annotation (search for @hidden in the code to find examples). To reduce the size of the inspector hidding attributes might do the trick, but this "solution" sucks, it is not a good suggestion, but it is possible to make the street rule "more simple" if the GUI is giving you trouble.
Belgium ! That sounds awesome! Check the Curb Extension examples above, it is possible to have connecting segments of varying width with the rule.

Good Luck, I wish I was more help.

David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Regular Contributor

The issue if street networks don't join is very simple:

The segments must be on the same layer. Merge the layers.

Ok?

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

--------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

DavidWasserman
Regular Contributor

Hi Matthias,

Early morning for me, and I saw this and had to comment to say...I did not even check the layers.

Thanks Matthias, if this is Steve's issue I won't make that assumption again...ever...

Feel really silly right now.

David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
SteveRhyne
New Contributor III

Thanks Matthias. That did the trick.

SteveRhyne
New Contributor III

New question. At junction locations on a continuous roadway section there is a gap in the texture (see attached). I've looked at the different settings to close the gap but I can't find anything other than reducing the Begin_Crosswalk_To_Stop_Bar to zero. Is there another location I'm missing that will close this gap?

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos