Crop image not working

Jump to solution
06-25-2015 12:22 PM
ScottAulen2
New Contributor III

I'm having inconsistent results with the crop image tool.  When it's accessible it works fine but it only seems available some of the time (greyed out the rest of the time).  I've also never been able to crop the image from the File Navigator context menu though help document says this should be possible.

Are these bugs?  Anyone else have the same issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We found a workaround to make the crop tool work. When you open CE, just click on an image file in the File Navigator in CE, and THEN click the Shapes menu. To rephrase: don't touch the Shapes menu until after you click on an image in the Navigator, such as "YourFacade.jpg". The crop tool should be enabled and should stay enabled until CE is shutdown. The way to not have it work is to open the Shapes menu before clicking on an image. As previously stated, this is a bug, but hopefully this will work for now. I say hopefully, because we need you to test this workaround. If you find exceptions to this, or if this just doesn't work for you, please reply. I didn't test on versions before 2015.0.

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is a known bug. Until it is fixed, you might try GIMP:  GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

0 Kudos
Renato_Cesar_Ferreira_deSouza
New Contributor II

Hello there. Thank you for posting this topic. As a matter of fact, not working crop image means necessarily that  the core of texturing process is not working at all. Indeed, It is very dissapointing that it happens with a software that intend to be a GIS visualization tool.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Renato. We appreciate the feedback, but aside from the crop image tool, the texturing in CityEngine is working fine. I use it daily. I will look into the status of that tool and post an update. We don't want you to be disappointed.

AlexRocco
New Contributor III

The initial post says that his is sometimes grayed out. Mine is never grayed out yet never works. While awaiting the bug fix is there any resource that describes the files it should work on?

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Common graphics formats like jpg or png. Check the city engine help file for more types.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Go to directory IMAGES and find the images. So far, the best fixing I got was with adobe photo. Try to not open any software after booting, and maybe crop works. There is something blocking it... (maybe the cursed flash?)

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hello Chris, and thank you. My crop function is unstable, and I am trying to prove that is possible to put a Brazilian slung inside City Engine. Trying to study invisible modulations that are only visible after processing some alg. for CGA. http://arcg.is/1M1YXrB

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We found a workaround to make the crop tool work. When you open CE, just click on an image file in the File Navigator in CE, and THEN click the Shapes menu. To rephrase: don't touch the Shapes menu until after you click on an image in the Navigator, such as "YourFacade.jpg". The crop tool should be enabled and should stay enabled until CE is shutdown. The way to not have it work is to open the Shapes menu before clicking on an image. As previously stated, this is a bug, but hopefully this will work for now. I say hopefully, because we need you to test this workaround. If you find exceptions to this, or if this just doesn't work for you, please reply. I didn't test on versions before 2015.0.

Chris

0 Kudos
Kirsi-MariaViljanen
New Contributor

Hello. I have also problem to open crop image tool. The workflow you mentioned don`t work for me at all. This is very sad. Can you help me?

Kirsi

0 Kudos