CityEngine collada for ArcScene

03-09-2012 12:23 AM
CarlBester
New Contributor
Hi guys, I have tried to export my cityengine features to collada, in order to import it to ArcScene. The export part (in CityEngine) works perfectly. I installed the new version of CityEngine (which enables exportation for ArcGIS compatilbility). As soon as I use the
3D Analyst tools > Conversion > From File > Import 3D Files tool to import my .dae files it stops quickly with an error. The error code is: 050038 No Valid Files. None of the files appear to be supported in 3D model format.

Any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated

C
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi ..

I'm not sure about the collada error .. you may want to check with Esri Support for this ..

did you try kml/kmz ?

you could also try to import with the 'kml to layer' tool.

hope this helps you further !
0 Kudos
CarlBester
New Contributor
Thanks for the advise. I installed SP4 and for some mysterious reason it worked.
0 Kudos
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
I'm also trying to export my City Engine model to ArcScene, unfortunately without success. Tried collada (dae), KMZ and FGDB. Any suggestions? I'm using City Engine 2011 and ArcGIS 10 SP4. The FGDB turns out empty. Trying to import the dae file, the Import 3D Files tool aborts without giving an error message. KMZ just makes ArcScene to hang.
0 Kudos
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
It finally worked out using Collada. I was just too impatient 😄
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hehe, glad it works.

I know how this feels .. 🙂
0 Kudos