Cant select layer attribute

10-01-2013 04:36 AM
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II
When i import the shape files and assign rules to them, i would like to go and set to source for some attributes to layer attributes but this option is not available. After some messing around i was able to figure out that for some reason its related to texture or terrain layer. So as soon as i import any texture or terrain layer the option is available again. Why does this happen?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi,

for mapping attribute values, use the 'mapping' layer type. to map the elevation, use the 'terrain' layer type. I'd say never use the 'texture' map layer for mapping.

plus make sure the attribute in the rule and the one you're mapping have the same name. (it also works by mapping other attributes though, depending on the use case).

ok ?
0 Kudos
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II
Im not sure if you understood my issue.

So lets say that i start from a new empty sceene. What i do first is import shape files. Then i want to assign the rule file and map certain rule attributes to "Layer attributes. Then when i open "Attribute connection editor", "Layer  attribute" option doesnt appear at all(see attachment in the first post).

I dont actually need texture or terrain layers, but i figured out that for some strange reason importing any of those makes map to Layer attributes option apear in the "Attribute connection editor". Are those two suposse to be related or, is this a CE bug?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

No, that is ok like this.

layer in this context means 'MAP layer', not layer in the sense of a layer of imported data. If you go to Layer > New map layer .. , that's the layer types you can usually connect to ( mapping layer, terrain layer, function layer)

But you can also take a second layer with e.g. parcel shapes on it and 'sample' ('map') the object attributes of those shapes. The option though only appears if something connectable is available. There's some complex heuristics going on that try to figure those possible connections out.

Ok ?
0 Kudos
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II
Ok, thanks.
0 Kudos