Cannot import osm file!

12-12-2014 08:15 PM
aaronaaron
New Contributor II

hi! when i import osm file into the Cityengine, it always says the extent is too large. 2014.12.10.PNG

The size of this file is less than 1MB. i wonder how to solve this problem? thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

Make sure there is a world file in the same folder as the .osm file.

Is there?

0 Kudos
aaronaaron
New Contributor II

nope. where can i get the world file? i tried to import the map.osm from the tutorial_04_import streets just like the tutorial video, but i failed.

0 Kudos
aaronaaron
New Contributor II

i do not export the map file from the ARCGIS, but from the openstreetmap website, so there is no world file at all.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Aaron  you might want to edit your post and move it to the CityEngine Place to get a broader audience to your question

0 Kudos
aaronaaron
New Contributor II

thanks

ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

If you are trying to import your .osm into cityengine as WGS84, and the cityengine project is in some other projection/coordinate system, often you will have the extent problem. You need to change the data before you import so that it plonks itself within the extent of the project. If not, you will nearly always get the extent error.

Although there are other ways to achieve the transformation, the world file is the preferred method to do it, since it will override any header information in the file. I will typically create a world file in Notepad.

aaronaaron
New Contributor II

ok,thanks. i will try it.

0 Kudos
aaronaaron
New Contributor II

Hi, Elliott;

you are right.after i switched the work space, the problem did not exist. but i still know nothing about the "world file" because i have never used cityengine or arcgis before. i wonder if there is a detailed and professional book for Cityengine recommended. thanks for your helpful reply.

by aaron

0 Kudos