Add new map layer: extent and offset?

10-29-2013 12:47 AM
ErinKennedy
New Contributor
Hi, this is my first day working with City Engine and I haven't been working with GIS for long, so forgive me if this question is obvious.

I have an openstreetmaps layer with streets and another OSM layer with building polygons loaded into City Engine. I want to add a height map layer with a raster I converted to a tiff to drive the height attributes for the buildings like in tutorial #3. The raster was transformed in ArcMap to the same coordinate system as the OSM layers (WGS 1984) and they all project fine together in ArcMap. However, in CE it seems I just can't get the tiff file to project with the OSM layers.

I am doing this with 'layer-add new map layer'. I think my problem has something to do with the settings for extent and offset in the create map dialog (trying to import as a texture also doesn't work, I assume because of the same settings). I tried to find a place to view the extent, etc properties for my OSM layers, but I can't find anywhere to see that either.

Are these extent and offset settings most likely my problem and where can I find to what I should change these settings?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Welcome to the forum !

Do you get an error in the Log ( Window: Show Log) ?

Lemme know.

matt
0 Kudos
ErinKennedy
New Contributor
When I attempt to import it as a texture import, I get the following error:

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_32
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -data @noDefault

Warning
Tue Oct 29 10:05:38 CET 2013
The data is located too far from the current scene's contents. Either edit the (geo-)location of the data, choose an adequate projection, or import it into a new empty CityEngine scene. - [main]

But, when I use 'add new map layer', I don't get an error. It just projects to another area on the map.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hmm.

Would it be possible to share the files ?

If interested, please send me a PM on this Forum with your mail address.

Let me know ..

m.
0 Kudos
kerryhimes
New Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my TIFF base shifting in CE. It lines up fine in ArcMap.

Any resolution on this?

Thanks!

Kerry

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

hi,

which version of CE are you using ? 2013 ?

0 Kudos
kerryhimes
New Contributor

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the quick response My version is:

Esri CityEngine 2014.0 build 140522 (release, win32-64bit)

I have also checked the projection a number of times - I am pretty confident that is not my problem.

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Hey..

there were some shifting issues that were fixed for 2014.0, thus I'm puzzled.

Please report this to support@esri.com, together with a minimal reproduction dataset.

I can no more look into this myself, since I had my last day of work at esri yesterday..

Ok ?

Matt

0 Kudos
kerryhimes
New Contributor

Great. I will do that.

Thanks again for your help, Matt.

0 Kudos