Where can I find the SIC 6 digit code list definitions?

10-08-2018 08:51 AM
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Hello!  I am starting to use the Business Analyst data to perform site selections.  The Businesses and Facilities layer that I have installed as part of the BA package is a great resource.

In the attribute table, there is an SIC code column, but that SIC code is using a 6-digit code, which I assume, is coming from InfoUSA, the source of the data.  Where can I find the code list definitions for their 6-digit code?  Or can I just take the first 4 digits of the SIC code to reference the government's official SIC listings?  Better question, why not just use the standard (official) 4-digit SIC code in the dataset?

Here is the scenario: I have a point plotted to produce a drive time / walk time.  I then select all the businesses inside that drive time using the Businesses layer.  I then want to be able to summarize the businesses using the SIC code at the category and major industry level to get an idea of what type of businesses are in the area.  For example: CATEGORY: retail trade; MAJOR INDUSTRY: eating and drinking places; MINOR INDUSTRY: coffee shops

Thanks!

9 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just googled 'sic 6 digit codes' and found this:  http://centurionlists.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/6-Digit-SIC-Codes.pdf 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joe, thank you for the link.  However, I need the official list from the actual data provider to be sure the list is accurate and complete.  The list also needs to not be in a PDF document

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

what about https://classcodes.com/sic-code-list/ 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for trying again Joe, I appreciate enthusiastic community members.  The website link does show you the standard SIC code list, but they even admit that it is not the official list.  One can obtain the official list from the government through siccode.com, and it is a big Excel file, but after a little formatting, it is quite useful for cross-referencing.

However, the attribute data is a 6-digit code that was made by the data provider: InfoUSA, as referenced by the methodology and sources document provided by ESRI.

So why am I being so stringent you might ask?  It is because I work with exact data, and business decisions are being made from my results.  It is the difference of precision and accuracy: I need to be sure of the resources and have to follow specific protocols when using and referencing data.  It is why I posted my question here, and didn't just rely on the first Google search return.  I know that at the academic level, doing a homework assignment, you can be a little lenient with sources, but after that, you will be expected to know that your data sources are accurate and reliable, there is no more "wiggle room".  Hopefully that helps explain things a bit.

Thank you again for your help though and hopefully you don't get discouraged with trying to help!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good Afternoon,  Attached is a spreadsheet containing the SIC_NAICS crosswalk from Infogroup.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Alice Kavanagh

Data Sales

David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Alice, this is a great start!  Are there any plans to incorporate the standard 4-digit SIC code into the dataset?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David,

Will you please tell me what Esri software/service you are using? 

You can simply sum up the 6 -digit codes to the 4-digit level.

Thank you!

David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alice.  I am using the Business Analyst 2018 data that is downloaded and installed on my local machine.  Attached is a screenshot of the full file name.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David, will you please contact me directly so we can discuss this? Thanks so much! Alice

akavanagh@esri.com