Select to view content in your preferred language

US Data vs State Data

Jump to solution
03-07-2024 10:48 AM
Labels (1)
JamiDennis
Regular Contributor

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between the downloadable US data for ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro and the state specific data I purchased with ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro bundle? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Darren_Cook
Emerging Contributor

Hi Jami,

Thanks for the question and yes, you are on the right track! The data license (sdlic file) will control the spatial extent of the Business Analyst data. Since you purchased the data for a State, the license will ensure that the data works for all levels of geography available within that state. Please let us know if you have further questions.  Thank you, Darren Cook

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JamiDennis
Regular Contributor

I think I figured it out on my own. The state purchase is just the license but you have to install the full US dataset. The license file dictates what state/area you have access to. 

0 Kudos
Darren_Cook
Emerging Contributor

Hi Jami,

Thanks for the question and yes, you are on the right track! The data license (sdlic file) will control the spatial extent of the Business Analyst data. Since you purchased the data for a State, the license will ensure that the data works for all levels of geography available within that state. Please let us know if you have further questions.  Thank you, Darren Cook

JamiDennis
Regular Contributor

Thanks Darren!

Thanks @Darren_Cook ! And I do have another question- in addition to the one state, I need some data for a few counties in other states. How do I go about getting those without purchasing a whole other state license? I am assuming that I can use credits to get that data, but can't seem to figure out how to do that using the Business Analyst extension in ArcGIS Pro.  I searched for a tutorial or documentation on that and not having much luck. 

0 Kudos
Darren_Cook
Emerging Contributor

Hi Jami,

You are welcome! The most straight forward way to obtain a small set of variables for limited geographies (such as a few counties) would be to set the Business Analyst Data Source to the online dataset from ArcGIS.com and then download the levels of geography (boundaries) that you need. You can use the Generate Standard Geography Trade Areas tool to output boundaries. Then, you can enrich those boundaries with the variables that you need to work with in your analysis. You can do this with the Enrich Layer gp tool. Please note that this approach would require the use of credits. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Darren

JamiDennis
Regular Contributor

great! thank you so much!

0 Kudos