Select to view content in your preferred language

Summary Reports Geoprocessing Tool vs createReport REST API operation

Jump to solution
08-23-2023 11:57 AM
Labels (1)
RobStauder
Regular Contributor

Hi all. Looking for some guidance here.

I'm prototyping a workflow that uses ArcGIS Business Analyst and a custom infographic. 

The ArcGIS REST API operation, createReport, allows me to pass text strings to the infographic through the reportFields parameter. I set address and areadesc2 in the reportFields parameter and the text appears in the output PDF. 

If I try the same thing using the ArcGIS Business Analyst Desktop gp tool Summary Reports, I can only set the Area Description Field parameter, which seems to equate to the address field in REST.

How do I pass custom text to my infographic through the Summary Reports tool?

Here's what I've tried:

1. Summary Reports output to PDF - Set the Area Description Field parameter. This works, but I also want to set areadesc2. 
  2. Summary Reports output to HTML - Set the Area Description Field parameter. This does not display in the output HTML. However, I can edit the HTML's reportJson data to populate areadesc2 (it's in there under areaData - Headers - data - AREA_DESC2. Once I edit the HTML and refresh the page, the areadesc2 content will display.
 "areaData": [
{
"headers": {
"data": {
"STORE_ID": "0",
"AREA_ID": "16",
"StdGeographyName": "",
"StdGeographyID": "",
"StdGeographyLevel": "",
"AREA_DESC": "This is a test",
"STORE_NAME": "",
"STORE_ADDR": "",
"AREA_DESC2": "Simplicity boils down to two steps: Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest",
"STORE_LAT": "",
"STORE_LONG": "",
"SITE_NAME": "",
"ORIGINAL_OID": {
"name": "ORIGINAL_OID",
"alias": "ORIGINAL_OID",
"type": "esriFieldTypeDouble",
"value": 16
}
},
"comparisonLevels": []
},

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobStauder
Regular Contributor

A bit of a doh moment on my part. The answer to this was given to me by the BA team at the User Conference:

1. Import the template into BA desktop. This creates a template folder with several files, including report.xml
  2. Parse report.xml looking for the content in question
  3. Change the text, save the file
  4. Run Summary Reports

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
esritony
New Contributor

Hello @RobStauder ,

Thank  you for posting your inquiry with all of that helpful detail. We are following up with the team and will get back to you.

Tony

0 Kudos
RobStauder
Regular Contributor

A bit of a doh moment on my part. The answer to this was given to me by the BA team at the User Conference:

1. Import the template into BA desktop. This creates a template folder with several files, including report.xml
  2. Parse report.xml looking for the content in question
  3. Change the text, save the file
  4. Run Summary Reports
0 Kudos