Select to view content in your preferred language

Specify Comparison Geography for Custom Infographic

Jump to solution
01-09-2023 01:33 PM
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

I am building a custom infographic and have set up a number of charts to use compare with geographies. I would like to limit the geographies compared to Oregon and counties in Oregon. Is there a way to do this?

When I go to select comparison geography I only see the option to select states or counties not which states or counties. 

This matters to me because when I run the infographic some sites have multiple counties, some have no counties, some only have Oregon and some have Oregon and California. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146 Thanks for reaching out with your question. The comparison geographies returned to the drop down are based on where the site overlaps or intersects with the levels you selected when configuring the panel. For example, if a polygon site crosses the border of states, both of the states will be available in the drop down for comparison. When running the infographic, it dynamically selects geographies based on where the site is located. This makes it possible to use your custom infographic templates for a variety of use cases. 

My understanding from your description is that you would like to have more control over the comparison geographies when configuring your infographic template for a specific use case and area of interest. Unfortunately this option is not currently available in BA Web App when configuring infographics. To help us learn more about this enhancement request for consideration in future development, it would be great if you can describe your use case in more detail through Business Analyst Ideas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't have an answer, just wanted to say 'HI'. LOL

KnobbyRepentantJumpingbean-max-1mb.gif

- Jen
ArielLow2146

@JenniferAcunto I wish there was a way to give this more than one Kudo

0 Kudos
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146 Thanks for reaching out with your question. The comparison geographies returned to the drop down are based on where the site overlaps or intersects with the levels you selected when configuring the panel. For example, if a polygon site crosses the border of states, both of the states will be available in the drop down for comparison. When running the infographic, it dynamically selects geographies based on where the site is located. This makes it possible to use your custom infographic templates for a variety of use cases. 

My understanding from your description is that you would like to have more control over the comparison geographies when configuring your infographic template for a specific use case and area of interest. Unfortunately this option is not currently available in BA Web App when configuring infographics. To help us learn more about this enhancement request for consideration in future development, it would be great if you can describe your use case in more detail through Business Analyst Ideas

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146

@CherylHagevik thank you for the information. I'll definitely work on creating an idea to have more control over the comparison.

It sounds like there might be an issue with how the software determines overlapping or intersecting with comparison geographies though. I am very confident that my geographies go to the edge of but do not go into California. There are also geographies that are missing counties that do overlap with at least one or more counties.

0 Kudos
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

@ArielLow2146 Thank you for taking the time to create this Idea, we will watch for your post!

In regards to how the software determines intersecting geographies, it can depend on the location and size of the site. Feel free to provide more detail on an example you are having trouble with and I will be happy to take look.  

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146

@CherylHagevik one example of where the issue is occurring is with district 2 in this layer https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=bfdf473e271040bd99377c291c7372a4&sublayer=2#data. When I my infographic against this feature I see no counties and both California and Oregon. 

0 Kudos
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

@ArielLow2146 Thank you for providing your sample data. When comparing the areas in the sample data to the standard geography for California, I'm seeing a very slight overlap into California. This slight overlap is what is causing the infographic to include California in the comparison drop down.  

CherylHagevik_0-1673448557916.png

CherylHagevik_1-1673448606641.png

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146

@CherylHagevik thanks for looking into that. What state layer are you using? I'm not seeing the same thing you are when I look at the layer in comparison to the following: https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=af0922d3cb3a463f9303c1e66e18a4fd 

0 Kudos
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

@ArielLow2146 For the California border, I used standard geographies available through Business Analyst which are based on US Census boundaries. I used the Select Geography workflow to create a site of California then compared to your layer on the map. 

CherylHagevik_0-1673469878904.png

0 Kudos