Protecting data for paid apps

10-06-2020 09:18 AM
RyanGay
New Contributor II

I have a question about making apps for purchase using a web map. The idea I have for an app will utilize a web map service I will create. In order for general users who purchase the app to use it without an AGOL account, the web app must be made public right? Since the web map will be public what is stopping from general AGOL users from finding and using my web map for free? Or am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Ryan, 

This is unfortunately true, I was going to suggest using "App Login" workflow, but it would not work, since this would only work for content and services hosted by Esri and consume credits, it would not work for accessing private content or item. 

Limitations of App Login | ArcGIS for Developers 

Although you cannot use an App login with private content, if your goal is to distribute or sell an app to organizations without ArcGIS Online (no named users), you may control access to your content by using your own login mechanism (I.e. Identity) to the app.

Thank you,

Erwin.

RyanGay2
New Contributor III

That is what I thought. Thank you Erwin. What is the workflow for controlling access to the content by my own login mechanism?

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Something like this, How to implement app login ?

But as you mentioned, general ArcGIS Online users would be able to discover your item. 

0 Kudos
RyanGay2
New Contributor III

Understood. Thanks Erwin. Do you think that could be something that is fixed or incorporated? Seems kind of pointless to make a paid app if any AGOL users could find the aggregated data and employ the same tools I have in the application. 

0 Kudos