New ArcGIS Online user types and AppStudio licencing

Jump to solution
01-06-2019 01:02 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In December 2018 ESRI brought out the new user types for ArcGIS Online, increasing from two previously (L1 and L2) to five now. What implication (if any) does that have on licencing apps using AppStudio? 

The link below talks about four different runtime license levels, Lite, Basic, Standard and Advanced. How do these map across to the new user types?

License your app—AppStudio for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Paul,

This page of the Developers documentation has been updated today; hopefully this answers your question.

Licensing your ArcGIS Runtime App | ArcGIS for Developers 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Paul,

The page you're referring to actually refers to ArcGIS Runtime licensing, which is unrelated. The user type requirements for AppStudio can be found here: System requirements—AppStudio for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

There is no change to the process of licensing individual apps.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Claire

Sorry I wasn't clear enough - my question relates to the runtime licensing, not AppStudio itself.

When building apps using AppStudio, they need a runtime license. Previously, a Level 2 user was required for 'Basic' and above. Now we have two new user types that sit between the old L1 and L2: Editor and Field Worker. I'm wondering now what user type is required to license the runtime at the different levels.

Let me know if I should re-post this over in the Qt Runtime space, although the documentation for the AppStudio website should probably be updated too...

Ishmael posted a blog about Survey123 using the new Field Worker user type soon, from which we could draw some assumptions. e.g. Field Worker probably equates to the 'Basic' runtime license level, and Creator (the old L2) probably equates to 'Standard', but it would be good to get some clarification.

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/11/29/understanding-user-types-a-survey123-for... 

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Editor and Field Worker cannot access the AppStudio website or AppStudio Desktop to build an app to license; they can use AppStudio Player, however. Because of that, only the Creator and GIS Professional user types can license the ArcGIS Runtime, and the process to do so is unchanged for them.

Those user types can use the AppStudio website with no changes. Access to AppStudio Desktop requires the AppStudio for ArcGIS Standard add-on license, which is available to both the Creator and GIS Professional user types.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Let's say I create an app with AppStudio. I include the code that retrieves a runtime license when the user logs into AGOL. My hypothetical app includes functionality that requires the "Basic" runtime license level (e.g. perhaps they need to sync edits back to a feature service). I build this app and deploy to my users, say via one of the app stores.

One of my users has a Viewer agol user type, another has Editor, another has Field Worker, and yet another has Creator.

When they attempt to use my app, which ones will be able to use it?

Previously, L1 couldn't, so we assume that the Viewer can't. Previously, L2 could, so we assume that Creator can. From your answer above, I'm still confused as to whether Editor and Field Worker can use my app.

My question is for clarification around which AGOL user types unlock which runtime license levels. Hope this makes sense - if not I'll re-post over in Qt Runtime. 

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul, 

The idea behind the new user types for ArcGIS Online December 2018 release is not to change anything that has been working in the past. If it was working before, it should still work now. And the runtime license levels are not affected. 

Do you have any app(s) that are not working after the ArcGIS Online December 2019? 

Thank you,

Erwin. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Erwin

No, I don't currently have any existing apps that have stopped working. I understand that what worked before should work now.

My question is about the new user types and which ones will unlock which runtime license level. We know that previously, L1 would *not* unlock the runtime license, whereas L2 would. Now we have two new user types, Editor and Field Worker. Do they unlock the 'Basic' runtime license?

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

No.

Again, everything stays the same. Editor and Field Worker are not previously L2. 

0 Kudos
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Paul,

This page of the Developers documentation has been updated today; hopefully this answers your question.

Licensing your ArcGIS Runtime App | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Claire.

Note though that this page contradicts Erwins comment above that the Editor and Field Worker types do NOT unlock the Basic license level - that page says that they do.

0 Kudos