iOS Certificate Error in AppStudio Cloud Make

Jump to solution
01-11-2019 08:02 AM
ChristopherEby1
New Contributor II

We are trying to do an iOS cloud make for our Appstudio app (version 3.1.134) and after queuing the build we get this error:

Cannot read iOS identity from iOS certificate.

Check the iOS certificate has not expired and that you have supplied the valid password.

We are using iOS Development certificates tied to the Apple IDs in our Organizational Apple Developer Program Team and the development provisioning profile is linked to those certificates. I created a sample native app in XCode with the same Bundle Id as my AppStudio app and the same certificate and provisioning profile worked to build and sideload to an iPad. So I think the certificate and provisioning profile are valid. I have verified that I am entering the correct password for my .p12 file so I know it's not that and this same error is occurring for multiple developers. We are able to do successful iOS cloud makes using a distribution certificate and ad hoc distribution provisioning profile. Is there something about development certificates and development provisioning profiles that is incompatible with AppStudio cloud makes?  I don't see anything that we are doing wrong in the AppStudio documentation for signing iOS apps (Sign your app—AppStudio for ArcGIS | ArcGIS).

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ChristopherEby2
New Contributor III

Shobana, thanks for keeping tabs on this. I ran a few builds just to make sure but it looks like it's working the same as it did before the update. I was able to build using the keys exported from a newer Mac and the keys exported from our older Mac give me the same error as before.

0 Kudos
ShobanaSuresh
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for testing with AppStudio 3.3 beta.

AppStudio 3.3 beta iOS Cloud Make build server now uses macOS 10.14.2 and OpenSSL version LibreSSL 2.6.5.

My only guess at this point is that the p12 file exported on the old mac supports an old algorithm which the latest openssl binaries don't support. We'll try to see if we can get hold of an old p12 file to reproduce the bug and investigate the issue further.

>The version on the Mac I exported the Development certificates from is LibreSSL 2.2.7. The version on the Mac we >used to to export our Production certificate (which works) is LibreSSL 2.6.5.

Would you be able to export the developer certificates from a newer mac as a workaround?

Thanks

Shobana

0 Kudos
ChristopherEby1
New Contributor II

Shobana

Yes, we can continue to use that as our workaround.

Thanks,

Chris 

0 Kudos
FrédéricSchettini1
New Contributor

Hi, 

I have a similar problem.

I have generated a certificate and provisioning profile for distribution with my Developer Apple Account and a Mac.

When I build my App using AppStudio Cloud Make, I get this error

Based on the error message my certificate has not expired.

If I enter an incorrect password I have a message indicating that my password is wrong. That means that my password previously entered is correct.

Could you please help me to fix this issue because I must deploy my app on the App Store very shortly?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Frédéric;

0 Kudos
ChristopherEby1
New Contributor II

Frédéric, what version of macOS did you generate your certificate with?

0 Kudos
FrédéricSchettini1
New Contributor

Hi,

I have generated the certificate with a MacOs 10.14.6

What iti is weird; I have a different error message if I try to generate  an iOS build with  the AppStudio Online  (see the error below) rather than if I try to build using AppStudio Desktop (cloud make) 

Thanks,

Frédéric

0 Kudos
ShobanaSuresh
Esri Contributor
Hi Frédéric,

I checked the build logs for your app Citec TwentyFive. The cause for the build failure appears to be different to the original issue reported in this thread. 

In the case of your app, the openssl commands succeed and I see a "MAC verified OK" in the logs. Build fails later when importing the p12 file on the build server. There is not much information in the build log providing any clue as to why the build fails.

The best step forward would be to create a support incident with Esri Support to troubleshoot the issue further using your certificate files. 

I understand that this is time critical since you are trying to upload the app to App Store soon. You can reach out to appstudiofeedback@esri.com to investigate this issue further.

Thanks

Shobana
0 Kudos
FrédéricSchettini1
New Contributor

Hi Shobana,

Thank you for your investigation.

Perhaps the p12 file is incorrect.

I am going to contact the AppStudio team via the email you indicated.

Many thanks again,

Frédéric.

0 Kudos