Google Play August 1 2019 64 bit requirements

07-10-2019 07:53 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got the email below from Google Play recently. Can someone advise please whether any action (i.e. a rebuild and resubmit) is required?

I have an app in the Google Play store last updated November 2018, with the x86 and armeabi-v7a apk builds that were available from CloudMake at the time.

I'm aware that one of the javascript libraries in my code doesn't seem to work with the latest AppStudio/Qt versions, so for me it's not just a case of running a rebuild in CloudMake, I also need to set aside time to update the code, which I hadn't planned to do any time soon.

So I need to know whether the app listing will continue to work beyond August 1st 2019, or should I be prioritizing updating the code so I can rebuild and resubmit before then?

Email from Google:

Hello Google Play Developer,

By August 1, 2019, all apps that use native code must provide a 64-bit version in order to publish an update. As of the sending of this email, at least one of your apps* does not yet meet the requirement:

----------------------

Action required

Please review all of your apps for 64-bit compliance and submit your updated apps by August 1, 2019. The Android developers guide provides step-by-step instructions for assessing the use of native code and becoming 64-bit compliant, including identifying native libraries, building with 64-bit libraries, testing and publishing.

Please note that we are not making changes to our policy on 32-bit support. Google Play will continue to deliver apps with 32-bit native code to 32-bit devices. The requirement means that those apps will need to have a 64-bit version as well.

1 Reply
ShobanaSuresh
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

As per Android Developers Blog: Get your apps ready for the 64-bit requirement , the August 1st 2019 64-bit requirement applies only to new apps and app updates published to Google Play.

Starting August 1, 2021, Google Play will stop serving apps without 64-bit versions on 64-bit capable devices, meaning they will no longer be available in the Play Store on those devices.

So, my understanding is that existing 32-bit apps on Google Play will continue to work until August 1st 2021.

Thanks

Shobana