Cloud make iOS certificate creation

Jump to solution
12-16-2019 12:06 PM
DaveWeiss
New Contributor

The AppStudio iOS cloud make requires a Certificate. Is the $99 Apple Development Program membership required in order to create a certificate or can you create one with just a Apple Developer Account?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisLeSueur
Esri Contributor

Dave,

Yes it is required to have a $99 Apple Developer membership to create a build of your app. (or a $299 Enterprise developer membership depending on how you are going to distribute your app)

You cannot "just email the installation file or make it available on our website", unfortunately, iOS app distribution does not work that way. If you the audience for the app is a company or organization you can use an Enterprise distribution and self-host that or use a 3rd party tool to distribute the app. If your intended audience is the public then you will most likely have to go through the Apple App Store.

Here are some links with some good information on the subject:

How to share iOS App without publishing on Apple App Store? - Blog | Knowband 

app store - Private iOS app - Stack Overflow 

Who is the end user of the app?  In some scenarios the AppStudio Player is a good option of distributing apps as well. 

Introduction to AppStudio Player—AppStudio for ArcGIS | Documentation 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Dave,

Yes, you would need Apple Developer Program membership to create iOS Certificate, Certificates - Support - Apple Developer 

AppStudio Documentation on how to publish your app to Apple AppStore, Distribute your app—AppStudio for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
DaveWeiss
New Contributor

I don't want to publish it to the Apple App store. I would just email the installation file or make it available on our website. But it seems I need the Apple Developer membership just to create the installation file because a Certificate is required. Is that true or have I missed something?

0 Kudos
ChrisLeSueur
Esri Contributor

Dave,

Yes it is required to have a $99 Apple Developer membership to create a build of your app. (or a $299 Enterprise developer membership depending on how you are going to distribute your app)

You cannot "just email the installation file or make it available on our website", unfortunately, iOS app distribution does not work that way. If you the audience for the app is a company or organization you can use an Enterprise distribution and self-host that or use a 3rd party tool to distribute the app. If your intended audience is the public then you will most likely have to go through the Apple App Store.

Here are some links with some good information on the subject:

How to share iOS App without publishing on Apple App Store? - Blog | Knowband 

app store - Private iOS app - Stack Overflow 

Who is the end user of the app?  In some scenarios the AppStudio Player is a good option of distributing apps as well. 

Introduction to AppStudio Player—AppStudio for ArcGIS | Documentation 

0 Kudos