Any plans to support entering in a comma separated list of app/web map IDs for the Map Tour and Map Viewer templates?

10-14-2015 12:22 PM
ShaneClarke
Esri Contributor

Are there any plans to support entering in a comma separated list of app/web map IDs for the Map Tour and Map Viewer templates? The current method of selecting multiple apps/maps via a search string does not guarantee that the search results will always be the same.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III

Shane,

The best part of using a search string is that the content changes!

Imagine I have 5 maps of Melbourne and I have tagged them with 'Hannah's Maps of Melbourne'. Then I create my Map Viewer app using the tag in my search string and push it to the app stores. All good?

But then I create another 5 maps of Melbourne that I want to add to my app. I don't need to rebuild my app - I don't even need to update the version of my app in the app stores. All I need to do is tag the new maps with 'Hannah's Maps of Melbourne', and they will automatically show up in my app!

This is a simple example, but you can also use the map publisher, item id's, published dates, ArcGIS Online groups or any combination of the above to build a more robust search string. For more information, see Use search—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

You should be able to build a search string that includes the id's of your maps using this approach. This should ensure that your app content is always the same. E.g., id:12345 OR id:54321 OR id:56789

- Hannah

0 Kudos