Select to view content in your preferred language

ToolBar Deprecated at V2.3

11-29-2011 01:02 PM
BrianGustafson
Occasional Contributor
What is replacing the toolbar control at V2.3 and 3.0?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
OrlandoCarvajal
Deactivated User
Well, it's true that the toolbar doesn't help that much. For example, I never really tried to add a combobox to a toolbar, but I don't think it was supported. It probably only supports command buttons.

On the other hand, what would really be helpful and very tied to ESRI's map functionality is to have those buttons show up as pressed-down when the tool is active and if I pick another tool from pressing other button, the former button gets back to not-pressed state. This would require closer handling of what Draw object is currently active in the map. It would work even if I have different toolbars.

Wish list? Or does anyone know of something close to it?
0 Kudos
deleted-user-ATjHIWsdQYmT
Deactivated User
Well, it's true that the toolbar doesn't help that much. For example, I never really tried to add a combobox to a toolbar, but I don't think it was supported. It probably only supports command buttons.

On the other hand, what would really be helpful and very tied to ESRI's map functionality is to have those buttons show up as pressed-down when the tool is active and if I pick another tool from pressing other button, the former button gets back to not-pressed state. This would require closer handling of what Draw object is currently active in the map. It would work even if I have different toolbars.

Wish list? Or does anyone know of something close to it?

Why would you want to add a combo box to a toolbar?  I think your statement is correct that the toolbar is primarily for tools or command buttons.  If you want to add a combo box, just put the toolbar inside a stackpanel along with your combo box.

As for button state:  You could listen to the TooBarItemCicked event or the ToobarIndexChanged event for the toolbar and swap out images or add a border based on the index of the tool.  Another reason to keep the toolbar around -  the Events have already been created.
0 Kudos
ValentinFedulov
Occasional Contributor
But the effort involved to keep your App the same is very little - download the code from Codeplex and add it to your app - 30 minutes work

ArcGIS Silverlight Toolkit Toolbar from http://esrisilverlight.codeplex.com/releases/view/60154
So, I download ArcGIS Silverlight Toolkit v2.2 sources and extract Toolbar component and make standalone lib.
This is it - Toolbar only lib from ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Toolkit
Sources included.
https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d0d90aae25604cdca900791589b4856a
0 Kudos