Silverlight arcgis application takes huge time to load

Jump to solution
07-03-2012 07:56 PM
ForamParikh
Occasional Contributor
Hello everyone,

I have no idea why my application takes long time.Inside my network it is working ok but outside it it is taking so much time to load the application.I haven't added any heavy controls or anything but still it is taking that long.
my page is http://map.pipelineforthefuture.org.

Please help,

Thanks
Foram
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCrumbliss
Occasional Contributor II
I can say that it took about 45 seconds to download the xap file itself, which is way too long for a 3 MB file. That should take just a few seconds at the most.  That isn't a silverlight issue.  My guess is that it an IIS or host issue.

The other things is that on startup, by default your sending every tile thought a handler (Tint.ashx) in order to show the background tile layer as grayscale.  That in an of itself isn't bad, i guess, but if you're having IIS/host/network issues, then even though the resulting tile is only a couple dozen Kb, it's taking around 90 seconds to go through what amounts to a slowly performing proxy.  However, i do notice that once the app has completely loaded, the Tint.ashx handler performs much faster (5-10 seconds instead of 90), but still slower than you would want.

If it were me, I would start looking into the network configuration.

Lance

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor
Have you analyzed he upload speeds of your connection?
Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
SanajyJadhav
What is your XAP size?
0 Kudos
PLadd
by
Occasional Contributor III
To speed up the loading of your Silverlight site, be sure to use a property called "Reduce XAP size by using application library caching."  From the menus, under Project, click on <SolutionName> Properties.  On the Silverlight tab check on "Reduce XAP size by using application library caching." 

Here's what it does:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd833069(v=vs.95).aspx
0 Kudos
ForamParikh
Occasional Contributor
Thanks everyone for replying me,

My xap size is 2328KB after i change the property reduce XAP size by using application library caching.

I am using small animation and black and white grad effect other than that I am not using any image which is big in size also.

Please help, It is painful.

Thanks
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
I can say that it took about 45 seconds to download the xap file itself, which is way too long for a 3 MB file. That should take just a few seconds at the most.  That isn't a silverlight issue.  My guess is that it an IIS or host issue.

The other things is that on startup, by default your sending every tile thought a handler (Tint.ashx) in order to show the background tile layer as grayscale.  That in an of itself isn't bad, i guess, but if you're having IIS/host/network issues, then even though the resulting tile is only a couple dozen Kb, it's taking around 90 seconds to go through what amounts to a slowly performing proxy.  However, i do notice that once the app has completely loaded, the Tint.ashx handler performs much faster (5-10 seconds instead of 90), but still slower than you would want.

If it were me, I would start looking into the network configuration.

Lance
0 Kudos
ForamParikh
Occasional Contributor
Thank you so much Lance,

I am also guessing that it must be network issue because i checked my whole code and there is nothing in the code which takes time.But I am not network person I will appropriated if you can tell me what kind of configuration do I have to check?

What else I should take care for making it faster?I make all map services mode as on demand so when ever i use that service it loads.

and also i have noticed in our inside network it is not that slow but outside network it is slow so is it something related to dsl?

Please help,

Thanks
Foram
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
Networking isn't my area of expertise, either. 

Two things you can look into though are 1) what is your DSL services up/down speed, and 2) are any of the requests being redirected through any internal proxies/firewalls?

If you have a network administrator, you would be better off talking to him/her about it.  Also, Fiddler is a very useful tool, as well as wireshark (although the latter is for someone more experienced in debugging network related issues).

That's about as much direction as I can give, sorry....

Lance
0 Kudos
ForamParikh
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Lance
0 Kudos