Retrieve the FeatureClass name

08-17-2010 11:09 AM
BryanLynn
New Contributor III
I have a situation where I need to get the underlying FeatureClass name from a layer in my mapservice - not the layer name the actual FeatureClass name.  Is this possible?  If so, is there an example?

Here is the basic problem: I have a desktop application and I need to replicate the basic functionality on the web.  The desktop app uses a combination of the FeatureClass name (i.e. GAS_MAINS) and a unique identifier for each feature (i.e. IPID) to lookup documents associated to the feature.  All documents associated with a utility feature (e.g. gas mains, gas valves, water mains, water services, etc.) in the system are stored in this manner.  This makes it easy to find documents for a variety of features all at one time.  It also allows us to easily store mulitple documents for a feature.  However, I can't seem to get back to the FeatureClass name from inside an ArcGIS Server application.

Thanks,
Bryan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HeikoHeijenga
Esri Contributor
Hi Bryan, did you ever find a way to figure out the FC name of a layer (thru the SOAP API)?
0 Kudos
AndrewWhite
New Contributor
I would like to be able to do this, too.
0 Kudos
JenniferNery
Esri Regular Contributor
If you will be using FeatureLayer, when the layer is Initialized you can retrieve the LayerInfo.Name. I think this is the same name as your FeatureClass. Alternatively, you can parse Json string that looks like this http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/SanFrancisco/311Incidents/FeatureServer/0... if you append "?f=json" to your service URL. Look for "name" here.
0 Kudos