Select to view content in your preferred language

Restrict data access based on extent and privileges

05-27-2010 02:52 AM
ErikNyberg
New Contributor
Anyone done anything with restricting data based on user privileges in a SL app?

I would like to restrict the extents available to the user based on their privileges:
So for example: user A might have access to world data within a mapservice but user B only have access to European data within the same mapservice. So not layerlevel access but rather extent based access.

A can see a number of problems with this but also a few possibilities to achieve it.
I wonder if anyone have done anything similar?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
Listen for ExtentChanged/ExtentChanging. If your user moves out of the extent, zoom/pan back.
0 Kudos
ErikNyberg
New Contributor
Ok, thanks.
So I guess I will store the different area extents in a database and then retrieve them when the app has loaded and then listen to the map extent move event and then check if the user has access or not to the new event.
Also need to make sure that the user cant access the information directly from the REST API to bypass the app security.
Also interesting to see how the performance impact will be when it has to check each time the mapextent has changed.
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
If you need to lock down the service, it's probably better just to create different services, and secure them using token services. That way you don't really have to do anything on the client other than provide a login screen to get the token.
0 Kudos
ErikNyberg
New Contributor
That's what I try to avoid since I then need to create one service per geographical area which will result in a lot of services to maintain..
0 Kudos
YgorThomaz
New Contributor II
Interesting discussion! ESRI should make a PAPER on Silverlight app and PERMISSIONS. Especially with the feature service now. Is there any chance? I also have to release edited by area, in my applications.
0 Kudos