Select to view content in your preferred language

Manage large data with time slider

03-11-2011 09:28 AM
SavitriDevisetty
Emerging Contributor
Hello,

I have a time slider(time extent mode) for a graphics layer(time aware). I get large data from the database like more than 40,000 rows and add this data as graphics to the graphics layer. The map becomes really slow and is not performant.
Is there a way I can add few points at a time(around 500 or 1000) to the graphics layer and still make the time slider appear as it playing for 40,000 graphics/points.
Or do you have any other suggestions to handle such large data with time slider.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks,
Savi Devisetty.
GeoComm.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherHill
Deactivated User
What type of data are you using? What type of geometry is it? Polyline, Polygons, Points, Mixture of all different types?

1) Filter data based on extent and the type of data that would be relevent at that extent.
2) you can increase the tolerance of your geometry request to return less complex geometry. e.g. at a city level you might want a polygon of a lake to return all its points so that it is very acurate, but at the world level you really don't need all points to define the shape of the lake that is now 10px wide and tall. As you pan/zoom all in view points have to be translated/scaled, so if you request your geometry based on your veiwing extent you can control how complex the geometry and increase performance.
3) TimeSlider allows you to create intervals which you can use to place an interval every 500 DateTime if you wanted this will help control the amount of data you have visible at one time.
4) Avoid rendering all graphics at one time if possible, and try to render graphics based on a relevent extent.

With large datasets there is no one solution, It all depends on what type of data you are working with and trying to filter data down to what is relevent based on the Extent the user is viewing and How complex the geometry needs to be at that viewing extent.
0 Kudos