Intallation error

07-22-2010 02:00 PM
JasGT
by
New Contributor
Hi all,

I can't install ArcGIS API for Microsoft Silverlight/WPF 2.0, the intall send this message: Installation ended prematurely because of an error. I have windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits, VS 2010 ultimate, Microsoft Expression 4 and I'm try download the exe many times and can't install, help.
0 Kudos
22 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Thanks Richard that would probably work if this was an msi.

pat

Run the installation exe which will display an installation dialog.  Next, run the SysInternals tool Process Explorer (as an Administrator) and find the msiexec that this launches.  Look at the Command line on the Image tab found via the context menu on msiexec.  What you find is that it creates a temporary directory which has the files that you need.  You can copy these files and then run the setup using them.

Obviously, getting ESRI to solve the problem is best but knowing how to debug it further yourself can be very valuable.  Best of luck!
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
Any details you find that you can share will definitely help us to better understand and fix this problem.
0 Kudos
patroam
New Contributor
I was able to get a log file(attached) - thanks for the tips on how to do so Richard.

After looking at the log file it appeared the error was in the UI so I ran the install in quiet mode and it installed fine.

Pat

Any details you find that you can share will definitely help us to better understand and fix this problem.
0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor
Pat,

The log file you provided gives some insight into the problem, but we'll need some additional details.  To capture verbose details on the installation process, please do the following:

1. Enable windows installer logging by creating a registry key. Use this doc to add the key: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

2. Once enabled, start the Silverlight/WPF install and step through it until it fails.

3. Go the %TEMP% folder (e.g. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp).   You should see a newly created .LOG file.   Attach this file to your next forum post. 

4. Optional.  You may want to remove the key added in step 1.

Thanks
0 Kudos
StevenMorlock
New Contributor II
same problem here with Windows 7  x64 running VS2010 and VS2008.

attached is my windows installer log.

btw: had/have the same problem with the old 1.2 package.
0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor
From the command line, run regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll. if it registers successfully, run the setup again.

Let me know if this works
0 Kudos
StevenMorlock
New Contributor II
registering the dll was succesful, installation still failed with same error.

"Installation ended permaturely because of an error", after clicking the first "Next" button.

Rex, i could give you my contact details so we can this discuss by phone (or e-mail) ? let me know what you prefer.
0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor
Can you generate another install log now that the vbscript.dll is registered?   Send it to me via email at rhansen@esri.com 

Thanks
0 Kudos
patroam
New Contributor
Attached. Hope it helps.

pat

Can you generate another install log now that the vbscript.dll is registered?   Send it to me via email at rhansen@esri.com 

Thanks
0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the log.  A couple questions�?�

1)    In the setup, do you get to the panel that shows the license agreement?

2)    Have you tried unblocking the exe?  (right click, go to properties > General tab, click Unblock)  If not, try it and see if you�??re able to run through the setup.

3)    Have you tried explicitly running the exe as an administrator?  (right click, select �??Run as administrator�?�)

4)   Did you have ArcGIS Silverlight/WPF 1.x installed on this machine in the past?  

5)  What ESRI products do you have installed currently?

Thanks
0 Kudos