Select to view content in your preferred language

Identity Manager woes/setting up the API for the first time

07-25-2012 06:50 AM
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor
For what I need, the SL viewer does 85% of what I want it to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't contain the identity manager functionality. I am aware (and have set up) a means of forms based authentication, but frankly if i'm going to go through all the trouble of setting up user's and roles on my server (using the built-in store) I'd just assume have the various services be authenticated there.

Anyway, this brings me to basically trying to find a basic template and getting the functionality i need inserted into it.

What is, in your opinion, the easiest way to set up your developing environment? Do I understand correctly that I need both Visual studio and Expression blend?

Any tips or shortcuts would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor
Update: API set-up, looks like i need to add another hat to the rack along with all the other roles a GIS person has to play these days.

Currently have an incident open with ESRI in trying to get a way to add the identity manager to the viewer. I've since learned that the viewer template still has not been updated to match the current SDK so I'm pretty sure that's a show stopper right there.

The ESRI support person has suggested you can add the identity functionality as an Add-In for the viewer, but due to the reason above i'm not buying it (nor have had the time to test it, but that would be great). So, alas, I may wait until the new viewer is issued (and just hope that the identity manager is built in this time around or i'll be back haunting the API support folks).
0 Kudos