Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing using feature template with Silverlight API 2.0

04-06-2010 07:04 AM
SteveMorgan
New Contributor
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post!

We are currenlty developing a silverlight application that edits a feature layer within ORACLE 11G.  We have no problems with the functionalily of actually creating, modifying and deleting features (polygon layer).  My question is why can we not create "circles" when I have selected circle as the default type in one of the feature templates created for that layer.  The tool want's to create a polygon instead of a circle (click center point and then click diameter of circle to complete edit).  Does the editing widget not utilize the default type when determining which tool to use when creating a new shape?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
The API's only support point, multipoint, polyline and polygon. A circle can be approximated using a polygon
0 Kudos
SteveMorgan
New Contributor
Would it be technically possible to use the first two vertexes, as defined by the users, to then automaticaly create a final arc using the first vertex as the center and then the second vertex to calculate an arc to close the polygon?  The second point would be used as the initial xy AND the final xy, we would then calcualte the opposing side of the circle as the third and intermediate vertex to close the arc.  We may have a line from the vertex to one side but I don't really care about that......

Thanks in advance for your opinion,

Steve
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
There's nothing preventing you from creating your own draw tool that does this by using the mouse events. The nice thing about the editing implementation is that you don't have to use the editor to do editing. If you can create the code required for the user to draw a circle, you can simply add the feature to the FeatureLayer.Graphics collection and it will automatically be added to server.

This forum thread might also be of interest to you:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=213&f=2455&t=289039&g=1
0 Kudos