Custom Editing Solutioin

05-12-2010 12:26 PM
SpencerWilliams
New Contributor
Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible for ESRI's Silverlight/WPF team to post the code that is used to create the editor widget.  My company's application will definitely use editing, but will probably need to be customized to fit our specific needs.  By posting the code that retrieves the icons/etc. it would help me to not have to recreated the wheel to add a spoke - sort of speak.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

-Spencer
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
As with the previous releases, we will release the source code of the toolkit on http://esrisilverlight.codeplex.com when v2.0 has RTM'ed.

Having said that, all the editor widget really is, is a set of buttons that executes the commands exposed in ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Editor. One of the sdk samples at http://esriurl.com/slsdk2 shows how to create your own editor widget using these commands.
0 Kudos
SpencerWilliams
New Contributor
Thanks Morten,

I was playing around with that sample and got it to a place where I think I will be able a custom toolbar for our application over here.  That being said, the next step is to customize the feature data form.  As it stands right now, our users will want to enter in long descriptions for point data and polygon data.  As far as I know it looks like you can only set a global "textbox" size on the form using the properties that it comes with.

What I am thinking I will do is to build my own form (keying off of the field names or sizes to create textboxes of a good size/with a scrollbar etc) and then have an apply button that will loop through the controls, add those back to the attributes, and call Save.Execute.  Do you have any better idea to go about it?

Thanks,

Spencer
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
You don't need to use the Editor. The nice thing is that is that if you edit a graphic's attribute, the changes is automatically detected and persisted to the server. So all you need to do is create a set of textboxes as you want them, and when you click OK, you set the attributes of the graphic to whatever the user entered, and they are immediately persisted back to the server (if you have AutoSave set to false you will have to manually submit all changes on the featurelayer).
0 Kudos