ControlTemplate not working as intended

Jump to solution
09-13-2012 11:10 AM
LuisGarcia2
Occasional Contributor II
I am creating some custom SimpleMarkerSymbol to be displayed on a GraphicsLayer. All I want is to display a marker with a black stroke (like shown in the attached shot) and indifferent shapes ("X", arrows, squares, rectangles and so on). I worked out the part of the black stroke in the ControlTemplate, so that is good. For the different shapes, I extended the "Shape" class from Microsoft and created my stuff. That all looks good except for one part. Our application has a slider that allows the user to increase/decrease the size of these Markers. My solution works well when I use the out of the box Ellipse; meaning that I can see the resizing happening and the bubbles increase/decrease in size and stay at the location defined by the MapPoint. However, when I do one of my Custom shapes and move the slider the Marker moves positions and does not changes size until I get it out of the viewing area and back in. Here is what I have for the Ellipse ControlTemplate (the one that WORKS fine):

<ControlTemplate x:Key="Circle">                     <Grid Name="RootElement" RenderTransformOrigin="0.5,0.5" >                         <Grid.RenderTransform>                             <ScaleTransform ScaleX="1" ScaleY="1" />                         </Grid.RenderTransform>                         <VisualStateManager.VisualStateGroups>                             <VisualStateGroup Name="CommonStates">                                 <VisualState Name="Normal">                                     <Storyboard>                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleX)"                                                                      To="1" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleY)"                                                                      To="1" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                     </Storyboard>                                 </VisualState>                                 <VisualState Name="MouseOver">                                     <Storyboard>                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleX)"                                                                      To="1.5" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleY)"                                                                      To="1.5" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                     </Storyboard>                                 </VisualState>                             </VisualStateGroup>                         </VisualStateManager.VisualStateGroups>                    <Ellipse Height="{Binding Symbol.Size}" Width="{Binding Symbol.Size}" Fill="{Binding Symbol.Color}" Stroke="Black">                                            </Ellipse>                 </Grid>             </ControlTemplate>

And this is what I have for my Arrow custom shape (the one that DOES NOT work). Basically the same thing but instead of the ellipse I have my Arrow class:

<ControlTemplate x:Key="Arrow">                     <Grid Name="RootElement" RenderTransformOrigin="0.5,0.5" >                         <Grid.RenderTransform>                             <ScaleTransform ScaleX="1" ScaleY="1" />                         </Grid.RenderTransform>                         <VisualStateManager.VisualStateGroups>                             <VisualStateGroup Name="CommonStates">                                 <VisualState Name="Normal">                                     <Storyboard>                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleX)"                                                                      To="1" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleY)"                                                                      To="1" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                     </Storyboard>                                 </VisualState>                                 <VisualState Name="MouseOver">                                     <Storyboard>                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleX)"                                                                      To="1.5" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                         <DoubleAnimation BeginTime="00:00:00"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetName="RootElement"                                                                      Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.RenderTransform).(ScaleTransform.ScaleY)"                                                                      To="1.5" Duration="0:0:0.1" />                                     </Storyboard>                                 </VisualState>                             </VisualStateGroup>                         </VisualStateManager.VisualStateGroups>                    <custom:Arrow Size="{Binding Symbol.Size}" Fill="{Binding Symbol.Color}"  Stroke="Black" RotationAngle="0">                     </custom:Arrow>                 </Grid>             </ControlTemplate>

And this is the extension of the Shape class, simply called Arrow:

public class Arrow : Shape     {         public Arrow() {          }           public static readonly DependencyProperty SizeProperty = DependencyProperty.Register("Size", typeof(Double), typeof(Arrow));         public static readonly DependencyProperty RotationAngleProperty = DependencyProperty.Register("RotationAngle", typeof(Double), typeof(Arrow), new PropertyMetadata(0.0d));          public double Size         {             get { return (double)this.GetValue(SizeProperty); }             set { this.SetValue(SizeProperty, value); }         }          public double RotationAngle         {             get { return (double)this.GetValue(RotationAngleProperty); }             set { this.SetValue(RotationAngleProperty, value); }         }          protected override Geometry DefiningGeometry         {             get             {                 double oneThird = this.Size / 3;                 double twoThirds = (this.Size * 2) / 3;                 double oneHalf = this.Size / 2;                  Point p1 = new Point(0.0d, oneThird);                 Point p2 = new Point(0.0d, twoThirds);                 Point p3 = new Point(oneHalf, twoThirds);                 Point p4 = new Point(oneHalf, this.Size);                  Point p5 = new Point(this.Size, oneHalf);                 Point p6 = new Point(oneHalf, 0);                 Point p7 = new Point(oneHalf, oneThird);                   List<PathSegment> segments = new List<PathSegment>(3);                 segments.Add(new LineSegment(p1, true));                 segments.Add(new LineSegment(p2, true));                 segments.Add(new LineSegment(p3, true));                 segments.Add(new LineSegment(p4, true));                  segments.Add(new LineSegment(p5, true));                 segments.Add(new LineSegment(p6, true));                 segments.Add(new LineSegment(p7, true));                  List<PathFigure> figures = new List<PathFigure>(1);                 PathFigure pf = new PathFigure(p1, segments, true);                 figures.Add(pf);                 RotateTransform rt = new RotateTransform(this.RotationAngle);                  Geometry g = new PathGeometry(figures, FillRule.EvenOdd, rt);                  return g;             }         }     }

I already changed the RenderTransformOrigin="0.5,0.5" position in the ControlTemplate and it still looks like it is moving to a different position. I also tried setting up the RotateTransform CenterX and CenterY variables to fixed points and did not work either. What am I missing? a Listener for the size?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielWalton
Occasional Contributor
I don't see how your Size DP connects to your DefiningGeometry. You should define the Size change handler to update it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanielWalton
Occasional Contributor
I don't see how your Size DP connects to your DefiningGeometry. You should define the Size change handler to update it.
0 Kudos
LuisGarcia2
Occasional Contributor II

Yep, that was it. Thanks for your help. If someone is interested, this is how I solved it in the dependency property definition:

public static readonly DependencyProperty SizeProperty = DependencyProperty.Register("Size", typeof(Double), typeof(MapShape), new UIPropertyMetadata(new PropertyChangedCallback(SizeChanged)));

And then I added the handler:

private static void SizeChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
        {
            MapShape shape = (MapShape)d;
            shape.InvalidateVisual();        
        }

Thanks again!
0 Kudos