Control of MapTip behaviors

Jump to solution
01-27-2015 07:58 AM
YurongTan
Occasional Contributor

I have an expanded display (I call it detailed info popup) that provides detailed or additional information about items or contents shown on a MapTip popup.  I use the MouseEnter event on the contents of a MapTip to control the expanded display.  However, the expanded display is always shown underneath the MapTip.  The question is how to make the expanded display to be shown on top of the MapTip?  Also, I want to be able to programatically modify the "delay time" of the MapTip once the mouse enters the expanded display.

Currently, I place the expanded display above the MapTip (see enclosed), but it gives the impression that the detailed information is detached.  I want the detailed display to be able to follow the mouse.

Any pointers?  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YurongTan
Occasional Contributor

That does not work well nor is it controllable. I ended up creating my own map tip that has up to three levels of extended tip popups on selected attributes.  Thanks for the info.SolutionImage.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor

You might look at the toolkit maptip sample which implements this kind of behavior.

The toolkit code is available on github.

0 Kudos
YurongTan
Occasional Contributor

Good morning!

You are really early.

The problem is that the expanded pop/display got buried behind the maptip popup. It should be on top of the maptip display, but it is not. I tried to get the Z factor of the maptip or the expanded display, but did not have any luck.

Do you have a suggestion to go around this kind of problem? Thanks

Yurong Tan

VA Office of Inspector General

(352) 337-2375

0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux

If the expanded display was inside the main maptip as in the referenced sample, you should avoid the Z display issue. Or did I miss something?

0 Kudos
YurongTan
Occasional Contributor

The expanded display (popup) is outside the maptip as a Border UI, but when the expanded display is "incorporated" inside the maptip (XAML) its control or manipulation is not permitted.  The probl is that any attempts to change its size, visibility, opacity, etc. will produce a runtime error.  The MapTip popup is already made once the mouse enters a map feature.  Once it is open/popped up any attempts to change it will produce an runtime error. One can do an easy test by adding an empty StackPanel inside a maptip and then try to change the StackPanel's size (say height), it will produce an runtime 4004 error.

Is there a suggestion or workaround?  Thanks

0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux

but when the expanded display is "incorporated" inside the maptip (XAML) its control or manipulation is not permitted.  The probl is that any attempts to change its size, visibility, opacity, etc. will produce a runtime error.

Isn't it what the maptip sample is doing when you click on the state name?

0 Kudos
YurongTan
Occasional Contributor

That does not work well nor is it controllable. I ended up creating my own map tip that has up to three levels of extended tip popups on selected attributes.  Thanks for the info.SolutionImage.jpg

0 Kudos