Blank screen on initialization

04-02-2013 05:05 AM
LuisGarcia2
Occasional Contributor II
I was wondering if someone else has experienced this. I have an application where we use the Silverlight version of ESRI. Most of the time it works fine. However, there are times where we see a totally blank screen. Nothing shows up, no layers, no graphics, and even worse no errors, nothing. What could be causing this?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LuisGarcia2
I posted this a while back and still keep getting this. I don't do anything exception in the initialization process. This is how I upload the base layer:

ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer bl = new ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer();
                    bl.Url = baseLayer; //this variable is just a string with the URL of the base layer map

bl.InitializationFailed += new EventHandler<EventArgs>(layer_InitializationFailed);
                    bl.Initialized += (a, b) =>
                    {
                        this.map1.Layers.Insert(0, bl);
                    };
                    bl.Initialize();

Still we get a blank screen very often. The baseLayer variable you see there is being set to this URL:

http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer

Is there an initialization routine we are missing? I can see the layers in the legend; so that tells me they were added to the control. However I do not see any map (base layer) or any other layer for that matter.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
BrandonCales
New Contributor III
I've had this occur even if one minor code has an issue, that isn't necessarily reported as an error. Have you checked through all your other code?
0 Kudos
LuisGarcia2
Brandon, thanks for your reply. I have checked multiple times the code and I have not found anything yet. What puzzles me is the fact that it is not consistent. It may happen sometimes; others it just uploads like a champ the very first time. The other thing I have noticed is that if I get the blank control and I click the reload button of the browser a couple of times, then it uploads. So, there is something specific that happens at some point (I guess under some conditions??) and it does not happen others. But no exception is ever thrown.
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
BrandonCales
New Contributor III
You can try running Fiddler - http://fiddler2.com/. It may point out something?
0 Kudos
LuisGarcia2
Thanks for the suggestion. I already did that... nothing shows...
0 Kudos
LuisGarcia2
I've had this occur even if one minor code has an issue, that isn't necessarily reported as an error. Have you checked through all your other code?

You are right, it is an error. I was able to make the screen show up blank. What I still have not been able to figure out is why it is doing that.
Thanks!
0 Kudos