ArcGISImageServiceLayer

05-11-2010 05:56 AM
LanceCrumbliss
Occasional Contributor II
hi all,

bit of a mystery here.  i've got an ImageService layer in my map.  it displays and works fine as long as it never leaves the maps current view extent.

for example, the image service layer covers the approximate extents of houston.  if the user pans out of the houston area proper, say to The Woodlands (just north of houston), the imagery is no longer in view because the imagery doesn't cover that far north.  that's to be expected.  however, panning back south to houston does not refresh the imagery. 

when initially panning out of the imagery's coverage (up to The Woodlands in my example above), fiddler shows  "error":{"code":500,"message":"Failed to get image data.","details":[]}}

moreover, there are no further calls by the Map to the image server after receiving the error above, even if i pan/zoom back to the original extent at which the imagery displayed properly before.  zoom in/zoom out....nada.  it simply displays the last retrieved image from the image server, never refreshing the extent or zoom.  it's like the layer's connection to the image server's URL is broken after the error and the last image retrieved is the last image you get.  we will need to be able to pan outside the extent of the image service, so setting a restraining extent is not an option.

any help would be appreciated.

lance
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
This was a known issue in v1.1 but has since been resolved. Are you using v1.2 or v2.0beta ?
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
still using 1.1.  i'll bump myself up to 1.2.  thanks morten.

lance
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
hi morten,

v1.2 resolved the issue of panning back to within the coverage area of the image service. however, there is still the follwing issue. i didn't mention it above, as i thought it might be related to the issue i posted about.

here is what happens: when zooming beyond the coverage of the image in the image service, the progress indicator will never reach 100%. as a result, the spinning logo we have as a progress indicator(borderWaitProgressBar) will not dissapear. e.Progress maxes out at 50%. the code for it is below.

Private Sub MyMap_Progress(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As ProgressEventArgs)
     borderWaitProgressBar.Visibility = Not (e.Progress < 100)
End Sub

i've got a messy fix for it by changing the contents of the sub to

IfNot _bBaseMapIsImageServerLayer Then
borderWaitProgressBar.Visibility = Not (e.Progress < 100)
Else
borderWaitProgressBar.Visibility = Not (e.Progress < 50)
EndIf

but it isn't ideal as there are other DynamicLayers that draw on the image as well and hiding the progress indicator at 50% isn't accurate for those.
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
so, is this still a known issue with v1.2?  what about v2.0?  if there is a correct way to go about this, any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
so, is this still a known issue with v1.2?  what about v2.0?  if there is a correct way to go about this, any help would be appreciated.

just thought i'd ask one more time if this is a known issue in v2.0 as well.
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
Sorry I dropped the ball on this thread. Yes this is currently a known issue. I'll see what we can do...
0 Kudos