How to get URL of Portal for ArcGIS

01-01-2016 05:36 PM
RifkiFauzi
New Contributor

Anyone know how can I get my Portal for ArcGIS URL (ex. <name>.maps.arcgis.com)...

I need this URL to setup my Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (using Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition and node.js)

setup.png

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition)

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KhalidMahmood
New Contributor II

Hello. This is Mr. Mahmood working as GIS Expert in Integrated Telecom Company. We have license files, ECP number from ESRI Saudi Arabia. I am looking for exact Portal URL so that I can configure it with ArcGIS Web Adaptor. Thanks.Error Message

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I didn't configure our portal, so I have no idea

0 Kudos
BrianWilson
Occasional Contributor II

I realize you wrote this almost a year ago, but a reply might help someone else. The scratched out URL in your screenshot says "desktop"-something.  The error messages says you need a "fully qualified domain name" in the URL.

1) You have to run a web browser ON THE SERVER for this step. If you try to connect via a desktop computer it will refuse to let you go on.

2) You have to have a full domain name, like "servername.somecompany.com" not just "servername", that's what the error message means.  You should test this before installing web adaptor, make sure you can reach the site with the name you are about to enter here, for example "https://servername.somecompany.com:7443/". If your browser cannot see the portal there (you get errors about "site not found") then you need to fix that problem first.

3) Remember that you have to install web adaptor twice, once for Portal and once for Server. Once it's installed correctly then you can't go to its URL anymore, you manage all connections through Portal.

Good luck! Once it's running it's relatively reliable and you probably won't ever have to do it again!

0 Kudos
BrianWilson
Occasional Contributor II

Dan, you sound like Robert Heinlein fan. TANSTAAFL? 🙂 Has your opinion changed since 2016?

The wealth of free tools and freemium cloud products available for GIS now is staggering. 

ESRI is on board too with free basemaps and services like geocoding through their free developer accounts that every GIS student should know about.

--Brian

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

TANSTAAFL only as it applies to analysis and not making maps, and of course the universe is an open system.

FL  I actually provided those for my students during my last two years of work, so they could pay it forward 

0 Kudos