Select to view content in your preferred language

using Locale languages

Jump to solution
01-09-2012 10:07 AM
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
I am having difficulty adding my own set of strings in english and french. I have followed the instructions, added the 2 folders and resource files, then I
changed the Properties -> Compiler -> arguments to  

-locale=en_CA,fr_FR -source-path=locale/{locale}

But, it then gives me 1,000's of errors like unable to resolve resource bundle "blah blah". I can guess that this is because it wants the en_US swc file strings in the  "Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4\sdks\4.1.0\frameworks\locale" folder. But, how do I set this up. it seems that my new files override everything.

ideas?? I know this has been done tons of times by others.

thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, if you use en_US than you won't have to run the copylocale tool. If you use a locale that isn't included in the Flex SDK, it doesn't know where to get the bundles needed by the SDK unless you create them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Debbie,

Try removing the equal sign:

-locale en_CA,fr_FR -source-path=locale/{locale}
0 Kudos
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor
If you compile with additional languages I believe you do need the "=" sign after locale. You might also give this a try by adding the keep all type selectors property: -locale=en_CA,fr_FR -source-path=locale/{locale} -keep-all-type-selectors=true
0 Kudos
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
Thanks for your speedy replies,

I tried  the remove equal sign and got these errors..

unable to open 'locale/en_CA,fr_FR'

I tried the -keep-all-type-selectors=true and got 1,000's of these errors...

Unable to resolve resource bundle "charts".

I don't see why this is so confusing, this must be done all the time???
0 Kudos
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
The Flex SDK doesn't have a en_CA locale. Try using using only the fr_FR locale and see if it compiles. If you want both, you'll need to run the SDK\4.1.0\bin\copylocale en_US en_CA

See:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7f2d.html#WS2db454920e96...
0 Kudos
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
Thanks for reply Dasa,

I am confused even more then. I thot by adding my own file (en_CA) under the locale folder, then that info would be used for my translations. Does this
mean that I should've named my file en_US, I really don't care what it is named. I still want the framework translations to be used for every other item that I don't include.

thanks,
0 Kudos
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, if you use en_US than you won't have to run the copylocale tool. If you use a locale that isn't included in the Flex SDK, it doesn't know where to get the bundles needed by the SDK unless you create them.
0 Kudos
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
Thanks so much Dasa,

I was making things way more difficult than I had to. I didn't realize that the new locale had to have an exact match in the SDK/frameworks/locale folder. I didn't care if it was called CA or US. I feel silly, it is quite simple.
THanks for you patience.
0 Kudos