Select to view content in your preferred language

Possible to enter XY when creating new point feature?

05-25-2013 10:04 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
Using the latest 3.3 version on 10.1 SP1, is it possible, using the Flex Edit Widget, to enter XY coordinates at object creation time? If Not, is it possible, via the default Flex Editor widget, to EDIT the XY coordinates of an already-created point feature? I realize it is very easy to create X and Y attribute field, goal here is allow people to enter XY at creation time so that the point feature reflects XY obtained, from say, a GPS or other coordinate source.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ronaldmcfarlane
Occasional Contributor
Using the latest 3.3 version on 10.1 SP1, is it possible, using the Flex Edit Widget, to enter XY coordinates at object creation time? If Not, is it possible, via the default Flex Editor widget, to EDIT the XY coordinates of an already-created point feature? I realize it is very easy to create X and Y attribute field, goal here is allow people to enter XY at creation time so that the point feature reflects XY obtained, from say, a GPS or other coordinate source.

I may be misinterpreting your questions, but here goes:  If you add fields to your featureclass, then they will popup in the data entry form to be filled out at time of creation (does not matter if they are x-y or otherwise); ditto with editing.  If your x & y fields are auto-populated at creation or movement, then manually changing them is worthless as the changes won't stick.  A better option might be to carry two sets of x-y attributes (auto & manual) with different names, relevant to their source of input.  A non-auto-populated field won't care if it is populated at creation or edited at a later time (unless it is a non-NULL field).  You can choose to show only manually populated fields in the entry form and show all fields (or a subset) in the pop-up view; this is what I do to keep users from trying to over-write auto populated attributes.  Hopefully this helps
0 Kudos
FrancisMugambi
New Contributor

Hi Tom,

Just seen your post after I posted a similar question - did you ever get  a solution ?

0 Kudos