Need guidance with Sample Flex Viewer spatial refs with widgets such as search

05-31-2010 09:27 AM
JamesHolstead
New Contributor
I've added one image service as a basemap, and two dynamic services as live maps from my ArcGIS Server to the Sample Flex Viewer and defined the new extents. The maps are displaying correctly, but slow as to be expected as they are all in different projections. Also, I'm noticing a lot of the widgets no longer work, such as the draw, zoom bar, overview map, etc... Then, I read the following in the readme.txt:

"3) Results from widgets like LiveLayer, Locate, GeoRSS and Search are displayed
using Graphics Layers and cannot be projected on the fly. Please make sure the
coordinate system of the data used for widgets matches the coordinate system of
the primary map service. The primary map service is the first map service that
gets added to the map and can be a base map or live map."

Considering I want to get existing widgets working and integrate some custom widgets, would it be easier to reproject all maps to the same spatial reference as the original SFV street map or is there another fix (note: dynamic maps are personal/Access geodatabases)? Any additional guidance or recommendations appreciated.

image service:
Spatial Reference: PROJCS["NAD_1983_StatePlane_Florida_East_FIPS_0901",GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983",DATUM["D_North_American_1983",SPHEROID["GRS_1980",6378137.0,298.257222101]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",656166.6666666665],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",-81.0],PARAMETER["Scale_Factor",0.9999411764705882],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",24.33333333333333],UNIT["Foot_US",0.3048006096012192]]

dynamic services:
Spatial Reference: 2236
Spatial Reference: 32617
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
James,

Your best results will occur when you re-project all your dynamic map services to the same coordinate system as the image service. The re-projection of the dynamic maps is costly as you have already noticed. The issue with the locatewidget will be fixed with the new outSpatialReference property of the Flex AGS 2.0 API. The searchwidget and liveLayerWidget should not have an issue as the output spatial reference is set to the maps SR. The GeoRSS is another story as most GeoRSS feeds are WGS 1984. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
JamesHolstead
New Contributor
rscheitlin,

Thanks for the feedback! I'll reproject and see how it behaves.

I'm  using your enhanced draw widget (which is awesome ty) and noticed the polygons and measurements dont display, but lines do. I set the DrawWidget.xml to <spatialref>102658</spatialref> which matches the image service. Any ideas?

thx again
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
James,

The Original and my enhanced Draw widget are expecting a SR that is in Meters not feet. Change the SR to the UTM WKID for your area.
0 Kudos
JamesHolstead
New Contributor
I'm getting the same behavior with the original sample viewer/draw widget, compling with version 4 (3.0 compatibility mode), recompiling using 3.5 it works fine. Should start a new thread, I go off topic.
0 Kudos