Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting Started with Widgets

08-26-2010 12:54 PM
JaclynGorman
New Contributor
I've taken flex classes and have worked with previous versions of ArcGIS server, but just never with Flex.  I am very new to flex and understand how the code functions since I took a class, but the problem I'm having is that they never covered widgets.  I downloaded the non-configured flexviewer but I am unsure how to really take it apart and customize it.  Are there any good tutorials on how to get started with widgets?  Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaclynGorman
New Contributor
I guess I should be a little more specific.  I am working on my local machine which has a Apache server running as a localhost.  When I try to run the flexviewer from flex builder, even when I follow the direction and it's in my C:\inetpub\wwwroot folder, it can't find the project on the machince.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Jaclyn,

Apache do not use a folder named inetpub that is for MS IIS you need to use htdocs folder instead.
0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor II
Widget is just another name for Module. The BaseWidget class that ESRI uses in FlexViewer extends Module and adds custom fields used in FlexViewer to pass data around.
So if you are looking for info on Modules in general, look up how to work with Flex Modules, loading and unloading. This will help you figure out what is happening with widgets in FlexViewer.
I don't think the FlexViewer unloads the widgets when they are closed. I think they get saved to a Dictionary object.
0 Kudos
JaclynGorman
New Contributor
Jaclyn,

Apache do not use a folder named inetpub that is for MS IIS you need to use htdocs folder instead.

I am able to get the configured viewer to open but I still can't get the non-configured flex viewer to open.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  I moved everything to the htdocs folder.  Thanks
0 Kudos