Flex API fails to display a dynamic service correctly if window width is above 2048px

02-14-2011 10:10 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I just recieved a couple of 30" monitors with a 2560x1600 resolution. When I try to display a tiled service over a full screen it displays fine, but when I try a dynamic service it maxes out at 2048 pixel width and it snaps to upper left corner so it is offset which is the main problem. I thought it is service related, but ASP.NET (SOAP) or Silverlight API applications do not have any problem with this as they seem to resize the output. JavaScript API does not even display the service if the width of the window is above 2048! I also tried to set <MaxImageHeight> and <MaxImageWidth> properties on the service .cfg which did not make any difference.

I attached two screenshots from the Sample page showing the problem at full screen and after resize. Both images are 50% resized.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
By default, the server does not allow dynamic maps larger than 2048x2048 pixels. However, this is configurable on your ArcGIS Server.

To change the max size for a specific service, on the server do the following:
1. Stop ArcGIS Server SOM/SOC.
2. Open the cfg file for the service (usually under arcgis\server10.0\server\user\cfg).
3. Change the value for the following:
<MaxImageWidth>2048</MaxImageWidth>
<MaxImageHeight>2048</MaxImageHeight>
4. Start ArcGIS Server SOM/SOC.

From the References->FAQ in the API Help

Did your changes maybe not "kick in" when you tried that?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JS

Thank you for your answer! I did not restart the whole SOM/SOC because I have lots of services on it. Is there a way to alter the default values for width/height when the service is created and .cfg is generated? Because it is kind of akward to restart the whole server for just one service.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Is there a way to alter the default values...?

No.  You'll have to do it for every service.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: srohlman

I am having this issue also. We have load balanced servers and can schedule downtime on our map services to make any configuration changes. However this is very disruptive when you must take your server offline just to republish an MSD. Hopefully this gets fixed in a future release.
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

Has this been fixed or do we still have to modify every CFG file?

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rscheitlin

Luci,

There is nothing broke and thus nothing to fix... Your particular circumstances exceed the normal defined limits and thus you will have to change the max image size for each service manually.
0 Kudos
CoreyAlix1
New Contributor II

The API doesn't go into detail on these values but I would have thought setting the maxImageHeight and maxImageWidth properties on the dynamic layer would cause the layer to request multiple tile to fill the extent but these properties seem to have no effect.  If that is the case then something in the JSAPI is broken.

arcgisdynamicmapservicelayer-amd | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Corey,

Are you aware that you are posting in the API for Flex Forum?

0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III
Thank you Robert, true it is not broken, just put in a wish for a simpler method of setting the variable on ArcGIS ideas.

Thanks again,

Luci
0 Kudos