Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing

10-23-2010 06:51 AM
ZahidChaudhry
Occasional Contributor III
I haven't had time yet to test editing but i am ready. My first question is that if you publish a feature layer that allow you to edit, then how you control that who can edit and how cant edit, esp from a web interface. Do you pass the credentials along with save/apply edit button...anyhow i didint see any info from ESRI regarding this....
Any help

Zahid Chaudhry

NPS
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Zahid,

Yep you have to manager permissions on your own so the user/credentials would be a good route.
0 Kudos
ZahidChaudhry
Occasional Contributor III
Robert,
Thanks. But is there a documentation or generic example that one can follow or modify to fit custom needs....I mean you can not openly published a service and let everybody  in org do whatever they feel like...lol that will be a disaster...

Thanks

Zahid
National Park Service
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Zahid,

I am not aware of any documentation or sample that show how to do this. I personally am very much against web editing, especially the way that esri has opened it up. It is up to developers to secure there own editing environment and that is fine for those that want to but there are going to be to many of those beginners that will not have a clue what they are doing and what the implications are and end up loosing lots of data. Of course one that puts some though into the web editing process will probably realize the need to create a replica of their GDB and have someone QA/QC the edit before committing them to real GDB. Anyway time to get off my soapbox.

Good Luck with this.
0 Kudos