Editing with Flex Editor

01-31-2012 11:53 AM
TylerWaring
Occasional Contributor II
Greetings Everyone,
           I am trying to implement some simple editing capabilities in my Sample Flex Viewer 2.2 site but with no luck.

I have created a msd with an editing template using desktop 10.0 and published it with ArcGIS server 10.0 as a feature server service by checking on the Feature Access option under the Capabilities section.

However, the whole Editor object is kind of a black box to me and I am having a hard time understanding what it wants that I am not giving it.

When I run my test to prove simple editing functionality I get the following error:

"TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.esri.ags.components::Editor/map_mouseUpHandler()';

Another symptom is that when I test the out of the box EditWidget, no templates load. I only get a widget with a "Select template to create feature:" label and nothing else.

I am having a hard time figuring out what I am doing wrong.

Any kind pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler Waring
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Tyler,

This is the wrong forum for Flex Viewer and or widget questions:

http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/111-ArcGIS-Viewer-for-Flex

So in ArcMap did you create a feature templates for the layers that you are wanting to edit over the web?

So right click the layer in the ArcMap toc and choose "Edit Features" > "Organize Feature Templates" > "New Template", etc, etc...
0 Kudos
TylerWaring
Thanks Robert,

I'm just trying to prove editing functionality with the Editor. I am trying to design a very simple editor as part a feasibility study for a larger application. My testing of the EditWidget is a alternate attempt to prove editing functionality with the Editor in my environment, not roll the EditWidget into production. I trying to troubleshoot why I am unable to get the Editor to work and I think it is probably the same reason that the EditWidget is not behaving expected. Is this the appropriate forum or should I approach this in the Flex Widget forum as if I am having trouble getting the EditWidget to work?

I went back and checked the editing template in my original project and everything looks correct. The feature dataset is verisoned. Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Tyler
0 Kudos
TylerWaring
OK
For some reason using the computer IP was problematic for the feature server on our setup. When I tested with the fully qualified domain name, we were up and running. Thanks Robert.

Tyler
0 Kudos