Select to view content in your preferred language

Deployment of Flexviewer

05-05-2010 03:51 PM
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
I tried to deploy my customized Flewviewer project.  In the Flexviewer project, I can view the map either by
C:\Users\myName\Documents\Flex Builder 3\Flexviewer1.3\bin-debug\index.html
C:\Users\myName\Documents\Flex Builder 3\Flexviewer1.3\bin-release\index.html
In IE or FireFox, I can view
file:///C:/Users/myName/Documents/Flex%20Builder%203/Flexviewer1.3/bin-debug/index.html
But no map displays in IE or FireFox for
file:///C:/Users/myName/Documents/Flex%20Builder%203/Flexviewer1.3/bin-release/index.html
If I copy the bin-debug folder to another location, e.g.:
file:///C:/YanotherFolder/bin-debug/index.html, no map is displayed.
I don't know how to fix this problem.  Appreciate if you can share your experience.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
shaningesri,

When you deploy your app you should copy the contents of the bin-release folder to your web server and paste it into a folder that has been setup as a virtual directory in IIS or if you are using Apache then to the httpdocs folder. You should only use a local path like you are for development and I really don't even recommend that. You really need a virtual directory setup pointing to your bin-debug folder so that when you launch your app in debug mode from flex or flash builder you are navigating to an actual url and not a local file path. These basics are all covered my Moxie in the Sample Flex Viewer developer guide.
0 Kudos
JasonWei
New Contributor
Robert.
Is your "Movie in the Sample Flex Viewer developer guide" available anywhere for download?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
jwei,

Sorry that was suppose to be "by Moxie" Moxie was the lead developer for the SFV. Do you have the developer guide?
0 Kudos
JasonWei
New Contributor
No, is it in the SFV package? Sorry I misunderstood you. I am just starting to move from ArcIMS to this new ArcGIS for Flex API and trying to learn anything I can.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
JasonWei
New Contributor
Robert,
Thank you very much for the guide. I really appreciate for what you have done for the forum!
0 Kudos
JaimePrado
New Contributor II
Hi Robert,

Could you please help me deploy my site.  I'm working with ArcGIS Server 10, Java and created the site with Adobe Flash Builder 4.  I exported the bin-debug folder and placed it on the server (c:/inetpub/wwwroot/).  How do I release the index.html file to the web?

Thanks.

jP
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Jaime,

What you need to do is in Flash Builder 4  so to the project menu and choose "Export Release Build..." That will create a bin-release folder the contents of that folder is what you copy to your web server.

Quick IIS tutorial: open IIS on the server expand the websites node and right click Default Web Site and choose new Virtual Directory. Click next in the dialog and give it an alias like FlexViewer and click next and browse to the folder that you copied the bin-release folders contents to. Click next and then ensure that Read and Run scripts (such as ASP) are both checked. Click next and then Finish. That's it your ready to run from the server.
0 Kudos
JaneCopeland
New Contributor
Is there a way to set up FlexBuilder to use the IIS virtual directory if IIS is running on a different machine than the development machine?  I tried creating a virtual directory on the IIS server that used a unc path to point to the bin-debug directory on the development machine but that didn't work out.  I'm at a Federal facility that has strong restrictions about what software can run on certain machines and I can't have FlexBuilder on the server nor can I have IIS on my desktop.
0 Kudos