creating a time aware layer when the time data does not come from GIS?

09-16-2011 09:43 AM
grahamcooke
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to create a proof of concept application for facilities management. We have GI Data which is basically feature polygons representing accomodation facilities plotted on a map. We have a completely separate system that exists on another server that holds all the booking data for the accomodation facilities. My problem is how to visualise the bookings via Flex API / Flexviewer so that we can see a time slider type representation of bookings.

I have looked into this and as my GI data does not have any time attributes, I am not sure how to enable the time tab in arcmap to create an mxd to publish that I can create as a service and publish through the intranet. I am sure there is a way to cross query the data and bring back a dataset that has all the bookings for each facility with dates attached. Can I create all the "time awareness" part on the fly in the code?

Does anyone have any tutorials / examples / suggestions for this please. I am not sat in front of my work pc so am unable to play with the code at this point, but was hoping someone could give me a leg-up" for when I tackle this on monday!

Any help appreciated as always.

cheers,

Graham
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
See http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/flex/samples/index.html#/Time_rendered_5K_run_gpx/01nq0000002r00000...

It's the last of the samples in the "Time-aware layers" folder and it says:
This sample shows how to use a FeatureCollection to populate time-aware data that is not setup with ArcGIS.  Instead this sample sets up the FeatureLayer with a time-aware FeatureCollection using a GPX feed.

Of course, it doesn't have to be GPX but could be anything...
0 Kudos