Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 2.0 now in beta

06-30-2010 10:38 AM
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
The resource center for ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 2.0 beta is now up and running at
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/flexviewer/

This is a first beta version of the viewer, take it for a spin and let us know what you think.  Being a beta, you'll notice that the documentation is a work-in-progress and we plan to update it regularly over the next few weeks.  Also, being a beta, there will be some bugs and other issues, but we wanted you to get a feel for what we are building so that you can provide us with some feedback on the Flex Viewer as soon as possible.

See also blog post at http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisserver/archive/2010/06/30/ArcGIS-Viewer-for-Flex-_2800_Beta_29...

Some links might take another 5-10 minutes before they are working, so be patient.

Have fun!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Bjorn,

Ya, sorry about that, but using the default config.xml that has the widgets floating it is possible to drag a widget to the bottom of the screen and then loose it.
0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor II
I have to say, I'm glad to see the flip effects replaced with a crossfade. Looks and feels a lot how I build my apps now. Nice work.

I also think a a forum for the API and Viewer would make things easier for people to navigate.
0 Kudos
Drew
by
Regular Contributor
Probably.

We are thinking to probably split it into
- Flex Viewer (people working with configuration files)
- Flex API (including people using Flash Builder to work with the source code for the viewer)

What do you (and others) think?

I think this is a good idea!
0 Kudos
LISWaukesha_Co
New Contributor III
I also think it would be a great idea to split the forum.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
The download for the viewer should now be working - http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgis-flex-viewer-how-to-download

Make sure you are signed in (or you might get the "Access Denied" message).  We're working on making this work better (as it does for the API Library download), but in the meantime the workaround is to sign in.
0 Kudos
KarlMagnusson
New Contributor III
Hi

It's great with the flexibility with the new widget structure. This is definitely going to enhance the user experience. It's also very interesting to see what can be done with the Info pop-up widget. Great work!
I have two things I would like to comment, although I now it's in early beta:
1. I was hoping to see some kind of a dynamic legend. Something like the oil spill map. This is what my users ask for the most (after scaled-printing of course:rolleyes:).
2. Map switcher widget suggestion: Only two buttons and hide the remaining tiled maps under each button in a list, appearing when the user click-and-holds. Then add the functionality blend maps (ideal for aerial vs street/topo) and swipe (ideal for aerial 2009 vs aerial 2004) in two small tools (sliders). Get the idea? This functionality shouldn't have to be in a separate widget in my opinion.
3. Have there been any addition of the number of events for widgets, 'lostFocus' and 'gotFocus' etc.?

The sample viewer 1.x has skyrocketed the number of frequent web GIS user in my organisation. Even some people, weeks from retirement and eons from GIS knowledge, is very excited about it. So...
...keep up the great work.

Karl M
municipality of Växjö
0 Kudos
BrendanCunningham
New Contributor
Hi Bjorn,
One thing I liked about the earlier version of the SFV was the ability to create Categories (Maps, Tools, Navigation, etc). My application includes custom menus for various local government departments.

With this example (based on the published demo) it appears that all tools/functions are in a single list across the top menu. Is it possible to create a Category/SubCategory hierarchy so that there could be dropdowns for "groups of tools/widgets".

Just a thought. Again, I haven't tackled the SFV yet so maybe this is configurable.

Thanks,

Brendan
0 Kudos
PatrickRickles
New Contributor
Hi All,

First, great work on the new Viewer! It's good to see that movable/resizable widgets was carried over from the forums and there's a better look and feel to some important, though often overlooked components (having the base maps represented by buttons and the overview map accessible via an arrow in the bottom right corner - very Google-esque and makes the user feel already familiar with the interface).

With that said, though, it would be nice to see a revamp to the functionality of existing tools. Search (text and graphical) should be more dynamic opposed to relying upon specified layers/queries in a back-end xml file.

Print is another one that's caused me a lot of problems. My clients often want Bing Maps/Google Maps/Satellite Imagery in the background with their custom data on top and various map elements - an import one being Legend - printed to scale. There was a code sample for dynamic legend that someone provided, which I extended, but I feel that this should be included in basic functionality. Furthermore, the print quality that comes out could be a lot better; it would be helpful to have a Flex Version of LayoutSOE.

Overall, I will still continue to use (and extend) the Flex Viewer and feel that this one is a step in the right direction. Keep up the great work and continue to raise the bar!
0 Kudos