Land use by county within a buffer

04-23-2019 08:24 AM
Labels (2)
HannahMcClellan
New Contributor

I have a raster land use layer, a county polygon layer and a buffer layer. How do I extract the land uses within the buffer by county? I don't have an issue extracting the land uses within the buffer, but would like for the them to be categorized by county.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
HannahMcClellan
New Contributor

Hi Dan. Yes, I've tried Tabulate Area and it creates the table that I'm looking for, but I don't know what the values represent within the table. It doesn't match the acres or the pixel count that should be correct for the county.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you set the cell size of the zone file to match that of the other raster? particularly if they aren't in the same coordinate system

0 Kudos
HannahMcClellan
New Contributor

The zone file is a feature layer of counties and the class file is a raster. Both are in the same projection. Should I convert the county layer to a raster? I may be completely screwing it all up anyway.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you don't do the overt conversion, you are at the whims of the software and your settings to make sure that the cell sizes, snap raster, etc etc are all good.  Sadly, the Environments tab on the tool doesn't flash so that the user checks those prior to doing a run.  The required information is definitely in the long detailed help topic.

As an alternative, I don't suppose you have an advanced license?

Tabulate Intersection—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
HannahMcClellan
New Contributor

I converted the raster to a polygon and then ran Tabulate Intersection. It worked! Thanks for your help Dan!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad it worked out!

0 Kudos