Revit file ArcGIS Pro upgrade tool failed

Jump to solution
07-06-2021 12:23 PM
JohnJanzen
New Contributor III

I'm Running Pro 2.8.  Revit files received from an Architect were successfully added in Pro (v.2.6 or v2.7 just last year) are now unsupported in 2.8.  Using the "Upgrade to latest version" tool on the Revit file gives me a "failed to upgrade to the latest version" notification in the upper right.  Same results regardless of .rvt file location ( c:\ or network).  Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielChantlos-Esri
New Contributor II

Hi John,

Thanks for meeting today as we found the solution for this issue. 

ArcGIS Pro 2.8 only supports Revit files for 5 versions (2017-2021). In order to access a Revit file in ArcGIS Pro 2.8, the Revit file must be one of these versions currently supported. Once the Revit file has been upgraded to at least v2017, you can use the "Upgrade to Latest Version" tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 to upgrade the file to v2021.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielChantlos-Esri
New Contributor II

Hi John,

I would be happy to help with this issue you are experiencing. Are you using the latest version of ArcGIS Pro (2.8.1)? Could you also verify if you are able to use the Revit file in Pro without using the "Upgrade to Latest Version" tool? I would also suggest running the "BIM File to Geodatabase" tool and bring in the converted GDB into a scene in Pro instead of the original Revit file. This will help narrow down what the issue might be or how to get around it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JohnJanzen
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel, thanks for the quick reply.

I am using v2.8.0.  Bringing in the original .rvt file results in a "Unsupported BIM file" message.  I haven't attempted the "BIM to GDB" tool as the purpose of viewing the .rvt was to quickly inspect it before sending it along to an outside colleague who doesn't use GIS in anyway.  Not sure what application they might be using.

0 Kudos
DanielChantlos-Esri
New Contributor II

Hi John,

I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of Pro because the latest patch may solve your initial issue. Alternatively, you could automate publishing Revit models as scene layers that you can share with your colleagues via URL to a web scene. If you are still having issues, it might be a good idea to meet and take a closer look at what is happening on your end.

0 Kudos
JohnJanzen
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

I just upgraded to 2.8.1 but with the same results.  Publishing to AGOL is a workflow that can't work in this case.  I'm open to a meeting to sort this out.   I will DM you.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanielChantlos-Esri
New Contributor II

Hi John,

Thanks for meeting today as we found the solution for this issue. 

ArcGIS Pro 2.8 only supports Revit files for 5 versions (2017-2021). In order to access a Revit file in ArcGIS Pro 2.8, the Revit file must be one of these versions currently supported. Once the Revit file has been upgraded to at least v2017, you can use the "Upgrade to Latest Version" tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 to upgrade the file to v2021.