Select to view content in your preferred language

Population calculation within buffer zone

a month ago
DiptiDhar
New Contributor II

I am working on identifying factors contributing to fecal contamination. we have our location of interest. We want to know the total count of the human population from the 1 km radius buffer zone around each area. I know the procedures in arcGISPro (creating buffer zone and clipping population layer). My problem is I failed to search for a proper GIS layer carrying population data that will clip population counts only within the buffer zone. I downloaded GIS layers from the online portal, NHGIS, and some other sources, but they clip all the data that is even outside of the zone. What I am doing wrong here? and how could I find a proper Population GIS data file. I work on ArcGIS Pro. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
DiptiDhar
New Contributor II

Not really! I will check and get back to you. Thank you for sharing it with me.

0 Kudos
DiptiDhar
New Contributor II

@RickeyFight  I have tried the intersection for the extent while doing the clip. This time on layers, it does intersect the polygon (census block), but the values i need like area, population, and household, they stay intact. The block areas extend from my buffer zone and i exactly need the population count within buffer zone. Probably i am not looking right gis file. 

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

So you want the populate total to change based on the buffer. I think you cannot use census tracts for this then since it is a polygon. I think you want a point layer.

0 Kudos
DiptiDhar
New Contributor II

Yes. I think so too. I can't intersect the values in polygon. I didn't find any gis point layer having population data. 

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

@DiptiDhar 
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/esri-demographics/developers/esris-2022-updated-demographi...

might be something you have to pay for. I know esri can calculate the population for you

RickeyFight_0-1720118517959.png

0 Kudos