Select to view content in your preferred language

Exporting Regions as a Single Solid

12-07-2018 10:21 AM
JoshuaHafel
New Contributor

I am trying to export a very large base map into Rhino (so that I can run a grasshopper script I have generated). When I export to a pdf, I realize that ArcGIS Pro isn't exporting out large regions (water is the most prominent example) as one solid, but rather thousands of tiny squares. This is leading to the pdf being unnecessarily large in file size and putting way too much strain on rhino to process. Maybe there is a checkbox or something that I am missing or maybe there is a better way to export. Rhino can read pretty much any vector format (.dxf, .dwg, .eps, .pdf, .ai, etc.)

I did find this in another forum (Export to CAD—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop) but I could not figure out how to work this. Please help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

The base map you are trying to export, is that the ArcGIS Online basemap or is it composed of your own point, line and polygon data? The basemaps that come from ArcGIS Online (Imagery, Streets, Topographic, Dark Gray Canvas...) are available to be used as reference/background for your maps and are stored online as tiles for quick rendering. If you have other data in your map, Rhino may be able to read it without conversion. In ArcGIS, shapefiles and geodatabase feature classes and the most common type of data used (both are considered vector data) but many can be read. If you want to use the Export to CAD tool, then make sure you have some input data for the tool and not just the basemap from ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos