Select to view content in your preferred language

Aligning Raster and .shp file after exporting.

01-09-2019 07:58 AM
FernandoCirino1
Emerging Contributor

I am trying to align a raster and shape file export from ArcMap to sketchup however the raster is not aligning with the line work?  Raster and .shp files are projected in the same coordinate system, but are shifted when opening in sketchup.  Linework was exported from ArcMap as CAD file and imported as a CAD file into Sketchup. Ideally it should work and I seem to recall it working in the past.

I'm not sure why this is not aligning?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Does sketchup work with coordinate systems?  If it doesn't the raster may just be being treated as rows and columns and the vector as simple coordinates which might just reference r,c locations.

Do they even appear together on screen

0 Kudos
FernandoCirino1
Emerging Contributor

Dan,

Thank-you for your reply.

No it does not work with coordinate systems, but given that they were all exported in the same manner, my thoughts are they would be treated the same.

When I open the file in AutoCAD Civil and attach the image everything aligns?

Both import into sketchup but the raster is shifted in SketchUP?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

cad usually support coordinate systems.

The only thing I could suggest offhand is to export the vector linework to raster using the same cell size and extent as the raster.

Not idea, but they should overlap in raster world

0 Kudos
FernandoCirino1
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I need to preserve the polygon and line work. Perhaps I'll try to project everything in WGS 1984 and export again. Hopefully that will work?

0 Kudos